[Solved] Virtual Box 6.0.4 on Windows 10 - Cannot Run Linux VMs

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
KellyM

[Solved] Virtual Box 6.0.4 on Windows 10 - Cannot Run Linux VMs

Post by KellyM »

Greetings:
I am attempting to run VirtualBox on my Windows 10 machine. However, whenever I attempt to run a Linux based guest (I have tried a few distros) the guest freezes. I have tried with both a VDI and ISO. For the VDI machine, I am able to get past the boot screen (where you can select Debian GNU/Linux), but after that, it simply shows a blank black screen that does not responds to any input. When I load the ISO (Lubuntu in this case) and click install, it freezes at the screen that prompts you to select a language.

I did not notice anything particularly unusual in the logs (attached). I do not have a lot of experience with VirtualBox, so any help is appreciated.
Attachments
2019-02-01-07-40-56.log
(68.24 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Box 6.0.4 on Windows 10 - Cannot Run Linux VMs

Post by mpack »

Hyper-v is enabled on your host. Does it need to be? It was impossible for VirtualBox to co-exist with Hyper-v prior to VBox 6.0.0. Even now the feature has a number of caveats and is not thoroughly proven.
KellyM

Post by KellyM »

Thanks so much. I was able to get it running now at least. My intent was to migrate to Virtual Box from Hyper-V, so, as long as VirtualBox is working, I do not need Hyper-V. However, I did run into another issue - I cannot get connectivity on the VDI (converted from a Hyper-V VM). I have tried both Bridged and NAT mode. When I run 'ip link show', it shows that enp0s3 is down. I set it to "up", but still without success. Attached is the output of the ip commands.

Thanks again.
Attachments
VirtualBox_Insurance Clone_01_02_2019_08_49_04.png
VirtualBox_Insurance Clone_01_02_2019_08_49_04.png (20.94 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

"connectivity on the VDI"? Are you using VDI as a synonym for VM? If so then you shouldn't. VDI is a disk image container format, and one VM can have multiple disks. Also it implies the unimportance of the control file, which to the contrary is as important as the motherboard is in a physical PC.

The easiest network configuration is to use NAT. That way if the host OS has network connectivity then so does the VM (NAT means: use the hosts Internet connection). And make sure you have enabled a network card in the VM settings which the guest OS has drivers for. I believe that "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop" is the default for Linux guests.
KellyM

Post by KellyM »

Sorry, let me elaborate a bit. I had a VHDX from Hyper-V. I converted it using VBoxManage.exe. I then created a new VM in Virtual Box and attached the converted VDI. Now I cannot get an IP address, connectivity, or anything within the new VM. I have tried NAT and it still did not work. Under Network Settings -> Advanced, the Adapter Type is "Intel PRO/100 MT Desktop" is selected, but still no connectivity.

What might the issue be? Thanks for any guidance.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If the NIC is configured in the VM settings then the guest sees it (if there was any doubt about that then all of us would be affected), so you have a guest OS network configuration problem having to do with the fact that your networking hardware has changed. I suggest that you run a network troubleshooter tool.

In that vein I'm going to move this topic to "Linux Guests" since the question now mostly seems to be about guest networking.

Do you actually need this VM to work? Wouldn't it be simpler to install Linux again? If necessary you could connect the VDI as a secondary drive to copy files off it.
KellyM

Post by KellyM »

Thanks. I actually spent a lot of time "hardening" the system, so that is why I was trying to get it working. I am not sure how well the configuration will copy over, but it might be my best option if I cannot get it working soon.

Still appreciate any assistance as, if possible, I would rather resolve the networking issue,

EDIT: Thanks everyone. I finally got it working. I had to modify the /etc/network/interfaces file.