Failed to attach the usb device to the virtual machine (busy with previous request)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dis0wned

Failed to attach the usb device to the virtual machine (busy with previous request)

Post by dis0wned »

Host OS - Windows 10
Guest OS - Kali Linux
VirtualBox - 6.0.2
Extension pack - 6.0.2

I also downgraded both VirtualBox and extension pack to 6.0.0 which did not resolve this issue

Steps taken so far:
Read usb troubleshooting
Read forums
Removed drivers in host OS and reinstalled
Uninstalled and reinstalled VirtualBox (rebooted between)
Added usb filters per device
Added generic usb filters
Removed all usb filters
Tried to add devices ad-hoc
Removed VirtualBox usb device in device manager of host OS
Removed all usb devices on host OS
Unplugged usb devices and rebooted
Cloned machine
Tried installing new machine from scratch

After roughly 5-6 hours of banging my head off the wall, I feel I have run out of troubleshooting steps and could use some insightful direction (please don’t say read blog post .... because chances are I already did and it didn’t help.).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to attach the usb device to the virtual machine (busy with previous request)

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dis0wned

Re: Failed to attach the usb device to the virtual machine (busy with previous request)

Post by dis0wned »

logs and output of commands
Attachments
vbox.7z
logs and output of commands
(21.29 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You did NOT follow the directions on how to grab the log:
  • You did NOT plug the USB device after the VM started and you logged in. And obviously you didn't unplug it either.
  • You did NOT shut down the VM completely before grabbing the log.
Please try again:
socratis wrote:Finally, a log from a cold_start / login / plug_USB / unplug_USB / complete_shutdown cycle:
  1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
  2. After you've logged in, plug the USB device. Wait (idling) for a minute or two. Unplug the USB device.
  3. Shutdown the VM (not paused or saved).
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  5. Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.