Seamless mode with SVGA card not available ? (6.0.2)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Poil

Seamless mode with SVGA card not available ? (6.0.2)

Post by Poil »

Hi,

I've seen nothing about this limitation in the manual, is it or it's a bug ? (the menu is disable, host key L not working)
I'm on Ubuntu 18.10, guest addition installed (VboxVGA + 3D mode are working fine with seamless mode)

Best regards
Last edited by Poil on 15. Jan 2019, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Seamless mode with SVGA card not available ? (6.0.2)

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Poil

Post by Poil »

OK it seems that for Linux Guest, we should use VMSVGA and not VboxSVGA.
A upgrade "configuration" guide for old VM should be nice, because this information is nowhere (except when we create a new Linux guest)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Poil wrote:A upgrade "configuration" guide for old VM should be nice
There's nothing to it. If you upgrade a VM, you get neither VMSVGA, nor VBoxSVGA. You get the old default VBoxVGA.

Just like if you upgrade an older VM, you get the "Legacy" paravirtualization option instead of the "Default" one. The goal is to NOT break a VM that's updated. Not to bring all the new features, bells and whistles in...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Poil

Post by Poil »

OK,

Also in your User Manual it's write VBOXSvga by default for Linux Guest (https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... Manual.pdf). But it is not it is VMSVGA when you create a new Linux Guest.

Page 50.
BoxSVGA: The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Linux or Windows7 or later.
VMSVGA: Use this graphics controller to emulate a VMware SVGA graphics device

Should be
BoxSVGA: The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Windows7 or later.
VMSVGA:The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Linux. Use this graphics controller to emulate a VMware SVGA graphics device
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, that is something that needs to be corrected. I'll ping the developers on IRC and if necessary, I'll create a ticket.

UPDATE
https://www.virtualbox.org/pipermail/vb ... 15180.html
ilyalesnoi
Primary OS: MS Windows 8.1
Guest OSses: Debian 8.11, FreeBSD 10.4

Post by ilyalesnoi »

Hello. After upgrading to 6.0.2, apparently I ran into a similar problem and the OpenArena does not start now. [https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18348]
dEhiN
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4, Debian 10, Debian GNU/Hurd

Post by dEhiN »

Hi all, I'm having problems with seamless mode on my LMDE 3 guest. I switched to using VMSVGA and I have the latest Guest Additions installed. Everything else seems to work fine - scaled mode, adjusting window size, etc. But when I try seamless mode, I can't see the bottom panel (also called the taskbar in Windows). If I have a window open (i.e., terminal, folder, browser, etc.), that window shows in seamless mode and if I press the start menu key, the LMDE start menu pops up, but even then the bottom panel doesn't show up.
Host: HP EliteBook 8470p -- Windows 10 Pro -- 16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM -- 1 TB SATA-3 SSD -- Intel Dual-Core i5 3220M
Guest: VirtualBox 6.1.16 r140961 (Qt5.6.2) -- Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 -- 4 GB RAM -- 4 GB swap -- 100 GB /