Android 7.1: Cannot enable Bluetooth on MacOS host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
SuperTasche

Android 7.1: Cannot enable Bluetooth on MacOS host

Post by SuperTasche »

Hello everyone.

I have been struggling for the whole day now to get an Android emulation running while establishing a Bluetooth connection.
This is the setup:
Host is Mac OS X 10.14.1 running VirtualBox 6.0.
Guest is an Android 7.1 32bit version I got from android-x86[dot]org
Just for completeness: While installing the virtual Android system I ran into some issues loading the GUI while booting.
I followed some solution on Stackoverflow to boot in VESA mode. (I can post to link to that after 1 day and 1 post if you want....)
Anyway the OS is running inside VirtualBox so far and I was able to install the application of my choice.
Now to the problem enabling Bluetooth.
What is working: I see my Bluetooth module inside the USB devices in VB and I am also able to select it.
I tested this on an Ubuntu 16.04 64bit virtual machine... and see: no problem enabling Bluetooth in the OS and scanning for devices.
However, when I am in the Android system all options to enable Bluetooth do not respond at all (neither the quick access nor preferences BT settings will do anything).
I do not have any clue why BT would work in Ubuntu but not in Android.
Any hints?

Edit: The guest additions are not installed on the Android system (and to my understanding are not possible to be installed).

Greetings,
Johannes
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Android 7.1: Cannot enable Bluetooth on MacOS host

Post by mpack »

The bluetooth/USB adapter is on the host's USB bus, so you need a USB filter to assign ownership of the bluetooth controller to the VM. USB functions require that you install the extension pack on the host. Guest Additions are not relevant to USB support.

USB devices cannot be shared, so assigning device ownership to the VM will kill all Bluetooth functionality on the host.

Also: I'm not an Android expert, but USB bluetooth adapters need drivers on the OS's I use. If you don't have a driver then the USB device may be visible but not functional.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I don't think any Android device has support for plug-in USB devices of any kind. I don't think I've seen a hard drive being attached to an Android device for example, and USB-storage is the simplest of all...

I highly doubt that the Android you have has provisions for a USB-bluetooth adapter being plugged in.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SuperTasche

Post by SuperTasche »

So, if I understand correctly I would have to find a host with a Bluetooth module that is supported by the Android 7.1 OS driver?
This sounds quite impossible to achieve.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The host has nothing much to do with it. To use any USB device on any computer (virtual or not) you need a driver. Do you have an Android x86 driver for this device?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And you got to make sure, as I've said, that your guest can support plugged USB devices. Any device at all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.