Cannot install Linux guest (CentOS, RHEL), on Windows Hosts

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
/dev/local/ca

Cannot install Linux guest (CentOS, RHEL), on Windows Hosts

Post by /dev/local/ca »

I just purchased a new box, AMD 1950X, Asus Motherboard, everything should work performant here.

I installed Windows 10 Pro, applied all the updates, I then installed VirtualBox 10, downloaded a CentOS image and tried to install. It starts out fine, but at the beginning of the installation, when I click inside the VM (mouse is captured), my mouse disappears. I can't get it back until I press the host key (right Ctrl), I have tried over and over, and fiddled with many things and settings, google'd it with others having the same problem, followed all the roads there to a dead end. I tried RHEL as well and get the same thing, when I click inside, the mouse is gone, disappears.

Has Oracle abandoned VirtualBox all together? If anyone has experienced this personally , very recently and has a solution, please let me know.

Sincerely,
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Cannot install Linux guest (CentOS, RHEL), on Windows Hosts

Post by andyp73 »

/dev/local/ca wrote:I then installed VirtualBox 10,
We'll put this down as a typo but there is no such beast. The current release it v6.0.0 (as of writing). See below...
/dev/local/ca wrote:Has Oracle abandoned VirtualBox all together?
On the basis that VirtualBox 6.0.0 was released on 18th December 2018 (2.5 weeks ago as I write) it is still very much alive and kicking.

You haven't really given a lot of detail to go on but this sounds similar to this issues in this thread which is down to an issue with a particular Red Hat kernel which may also manifest itself in CentOS.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

/dev/local/ca wrote:when I click inside the VM (mouse is captured), my mouse disappears
I'm moving the thread to the "Linux Guests" area from the "Windows Hosts" area. The problem is in your guest, not your host. Please choose more wisely the related section for your post, if you want more specific answers.

For example if you had looked in the "Linux Guests" area you would have spotted "[Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)", the thread that Andy linked you to. You might be facing a well known problem in the kernel that's shipped with RHEL/CentOS 7.6.
/dev/local/ca wrote:Has Oracle abandoned VirtualBox all together?
Seriously now? For real? Two posts and both of them start with "Oracle abandoned VirtualBox"? How long have you been using VirtualBox and you feel "abandoned"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
toracat
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: RHEL CentOS Scientific Linux

Post by toracat »

Yeah, I feel the heat. :P You feel offended. :evil: But don't take the OP seriously. Right, he did not do a good search but he is a "newbie" (now I offended the OP). :D
Beginning is easy – Continuing is hard.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Offended? Not really, I got no stake in it personally. Annoyed? Yeah, maybe a little bit. But not for long though... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.