[Solved] Full Screen Ubuntu - unresponsive

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dkardell

[Solved] Full Screen Ubuntu - unresponsive

Post by dkardell »

When using a full screen on ubuntu 18.10, the screen does not resize and is UN-responsive.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Full Screen Ubuntu - unresponsive

Post by socratis »

Moving from "OSX Hosts" to "Linux Guests", because that's where I think your problem is...

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dkardell

Post by dkardell »

Uploaded the log. Again when you switch to full screen nothing is responsive (on Ubuntu Guest running on latest mac). if I switch back to desktop and then back to Virtualbox, I can restore view back to non-full screen and then resize the window and it becomes responsive again.

Let me know what else I can provide
Attachments
Ubuntu64-2019-01-07-10-17-21.log.zip
(44.69 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.003848 3DEnabled  <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:01.003852 VRamSize   <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
  • Shut down the VM.
  • Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen.
    • Enable 3D acceleration.
    • Increase the VRAM to the max 256 MB.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dkardell

Post by dkardell »

So I could only increase VRAM (Video Memory) to 128. That and changing to 3D and upgrading to 6.0.4 appears to work!

Thanks!!!

Dan
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Full Screen Ubuntu - unresponsive

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, the "256 MB" reference was wrong on my part...
Glad you got it going, marking as [Solved].
aydun

Re: [Solved] Full Screen Ubuntu - unresponsive

Post by aydun »

Thanks - enabling 3D acceleration solved the problem for me on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. This VM had been working - I can't be sure but I think the problem arose with the upgrade to VBox 6.