how to change the size of disk?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
vbNiko
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WindowsXP home, openSuse Linux 11.3

how to change the size of disk?

Post by vbNiko »

Hi,
I have a virtual machine with Linux-Mint with a fixed size of 10 GB (recommended) for the hard disk.
This seems not to be sufficient. Mint tells me 8.3 GB total capacity of the file system and 7.5 GB total used size.
There should be some free space up to 10 GB. But after an update of Eclipse there was a warning that only about
80 MB are still available.

The size figures don't mach in my understanding. Anyway, how can I increse the size of 10 GB ?

Niko
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: how to change the size of disk?

Post by socratis »

Please read the FAQ How to resize a Virtual Drive, all of the posts.
vbNiko wrote:There should be some free space up to 10 GB
You're forgetting the swap space...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

vbNiko wrote:Hi,
I have a virtual machine with Linux-Mint with a fixed size of 10 GB (recommended) for the hard disk.
Where did you see that? The spec I see for Mint 19 says 9GB minimum (another site says 15GB), recommended is 20GB... and bear in mind that's just to run the OS. How could they know what apps you intend to install and what space they'll take?

And why did you choose a fixed size drive? Don't you realize that your decision to limit the drive to a weedy, congested 10GB was a direct consequence of this decision? And (ironically) I bet you thought you were doing it for performance reasons.

When I create a VM for light use (testing), I give it a 32GB dynamic VDI drive. If I intend to use it more heavily I give it a 64GB dynamic VDI.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:I give it a 32GB dynamic VDI drive. If I intend to use it more heavily I give it a 64GB
You are thinking in hex after all! I bet you're doing your taxes in binary/hex as well... :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Even in a grocery store I buy in quantities which are powers of 2.. :)