[Solved] Ubuntu guest running slow

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Disljenko

[Solved] Ubuntu guest running slow

Post by Disljenko »

Hello guys,

ever since i bought MacBook pro min 2017 i have problem that all my guest machines running really slow. To the point that they are not usable for most part. I was looking to find help online and try some suggestion from other people questions but had no luck. Tried adding/ removing CPU cores and RAM memory, but that didn't not affect much. Before i switched to this laptop i had no issue what so ever running on much slower hardware :(

Can you please check my log file and see if something is wrong with my VM guest settings?
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(30 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Dec 2018, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu guest running slow

Post by socratis »

I split your post from the "Guest running super slow" thread. You didn't even have the same problem! It's easy enough to create your own thread instead of piggy bagging on someone else's thread.
00:00:23.805625 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
You still have the Guest Additions (GAs) that came with Ubuntu; they're old and a fork. You need to uninstall them and install the ones that come with VirtualBox.

With the VM window having the focus, go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD Image..." and follow the prompts. You most probably need to install 'gcc', 'make', 'perl' and the kernel headers, by running the command:
  • 
    sudo apt-get install gcc make perl kernel-headers-$(uname -r) kernel-devel-$(uname -r)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Disljenko

Post by Disljenko »

@socratis your solution really solved my problem thanks for your help. I wasn't trying to highjack thread just looked to me that he had same problem as me (guest machine was running really slow)!

I have similar problem with my win 7 guest machine as well, not like i had with my ubuntu machine that was not usable, but dragging windows and scrolling trough text or inside some programs is slow(kind a lagging)! Can i post my win 7 log file here so you can try to help me as well?Thanks and appreciate your help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Disljenko wrote:Can i post my win 7 log file here so you can try to help me as well?
Nah, not really. I'm going to move this thread from the "OSX Hosts" to the "Linux Guests" area (that's where the problem was, in the guest) and mark it as [Solved]. It's easy enough to open a new thread in the "Windows Guests" section. See you there... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.