No resizing and guest addition error in install after upgrade to Centos 7.6

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mbkennel

No resizing and guest addition error in install after upgrade to Centos 7.6

Post by mbkennel »

My Linux guest VM upgraded itself to Centos 7.6 through the normal yum process. It occurred without an error. Upon reboot the display screen no longer resized and was stuck at a small configuration. I thought "OK, rebuild guest addition". (I'm using 5.2.22). There appears to be an error in building the guest additions now. I've included a screen shot of one of them, but there are others in the C compilation.

Any suggestions on how to get resizable windows, or if not, change the window size temporarily until this is fixed?

/etc/centos-release shows "7.6.1810 (Core)"
Attachments
Error message example from vbox log.
Error message example from vbox log.
GuestAdditionCompileError.PNG (111.83 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No resizing and guest addition error in install after upgrade to Centos 7.6

Post by socratis »

Try the Guest Additions from the test builds area: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JeanR
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux(Fedora, CentOS)

Post by JeanR »

I can confirm GA 5.2.23 build successfully under CentOS 7.6, however another issue (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90267) bites you with the newly installed kernel-3.10.0-957-1.3.el7.x86_64.
Stepping back to kernel-3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64 solved that issue for me (both with GA 5.2.22 and 5.2.23)
Gofdud60

Post by Gofdud60 »

I can confirm this issue. I ran into the same problem with CentOS 7.6 (i.e. kernel 957)
view2000

Post by view2000 »

I had the same issue and installing the Guest Additions 5.2.23 fixed the issue partially, I had to modify the kernel boot parameters and add "selinux=0" in order to be able to boot into it.

As for the mouse issue, login out and login back in fixed the issue for me so far.