[Solved] Linux guest kernel DRM CRTC error when maximizing Windows host VirtualBox console in 5.2.22

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Dan Harkless
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

[Solved] Linux guest kernel DRM CRTC error when maximizing Windows host VirtualBox console in 5.2.22

Post by Dan Harkless »

On CentOS 7.x guest, under VirtualBox 5.2.20 and 5.2.22 (but not prior), when I maximize the VirtualBox console window (with an X session running inside) on my Windows 7 host (something I do often, as I move my console window between my two monitors), I get a notification for a Linux kern.err message saying:

Code: Select all

[drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:28:crtc-0]
I do not have 2D or 3D acceleration enabled in my virtual machine settings. The GUI doesn't load after 5.2.20 update (#18116) thread suggests that if I were able to set the new dmabuf_capable xorg.conf option to false, it might eliminate this, but the CentOS 7.x version of Xorg does not have that option at this time.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Feb 2019, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
StevevetS

Re: Linux guest kernel DRM CRTC error when maximizing Windows host VirtualBox console in 5.2.22

Post by StevevetS »

I also was affected by the same symptom in Fedora 29 after upgrading to the 5.2.22 GA (from 5.2.12), and like you, I didn't have 3D acceleration enabled. This is a pretty old VM (began life at Fedora 20), and I've never bothered to bump the video memory from the 12 MiB VB originally allocated when it was created. On a whim, I bumped it to 64 MiB and restarted. Lo and behold, no more frozen UI and no more DRM CRTC errors in the log.
georg-of-the-jungle

Re: Linux guest kernel DRM CRTC error when maximizing Windows host VirtualBox console in 5.2.22

Post by georg-of-the-jungle »

Increasing the video memory solved things for me too. Thanks!