Linux Mint Guest under 5.2.22 software rendering mode

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Rance

Linux Mint Guest under 5.2.22 software rendering mode

Post by Rance »

I have a Linux Mint guest running in VB 5.2.22 with an error about software rendering mode on startup. After much research I found that this is usually fixed by enabling 3d rendering. This has been done, but no change to the issue.

The Xorg.log file has the following lines in it:

[ 11.613] (II) LoadModule: "vboxvideo"
[ 11.613] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vboxvideo
[ 11.613] (II) UnloadModule: "vboxvideo"
[ 11.613] (II) Unloading vboxvideo
[ 11.613] (EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers does not contain vboxvideo.so

I installed Guest Additions from the ISO as part of the install provided on the OS X host.

At least one post online suggests that this is a problem with the ISO itself as it does not occur if you complile GA from source inside the guest.

Could someone who knows better than me verify that building from source addresses the missing vboxvideo driver so I can attempt to install from source as a work around, and verify a problem report on the ISO itself but unsure how to list it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Linux Mint Guest under 5.2.22 software rendering mode

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Rance

Post by Rance »

I have attached the log file you requested to this post. Thanks
Attachments
LinuxMint-2018-11-19-14-50-09.log.zip
(29.92 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Rance

Post by Rance »

I don't know if it helps or not, but for another issue I blew away my Linux Mint VM with the error message and installed something else for testing.
The issue about the missing vbox driver is present for all three current editions of Linux Mint 19: Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE but the software rendering mode error only appears in Cinnamon.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Hi Rance,

Seems to be a possible issue with Cinnamon DE while using 5.2.22 Guest Additions, but fixed with Guest Additions 5.2.23 Testbuild ISO.

For more details, please see my post in 'LMDE3 with 3D acceleration enabled boots into software rendering mode' thread (sorry not yet able to post links due to new account).
Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 29. Nov 2018, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.