GUI resize problems with Oracle Linux 7u6 UEK5 latest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Jeff Kayser

GUI resize problems with Oracle Linux 7u6 UEK5 latest

Post by Jeff Kayser »

I recently upgraded to Virtualbox 5.2.22 (windows 10 host machine).
I have an Oracle Linux 7u6 UEK5 guest, with the latest updates applied.
After the upgrade, I started the VM, and updates the Guest Additions.
Then, I rebooted, and everything seemed to work OK.

However, the next day, it is not working correctly.
If I do not resize the Linux GUi, everything works OK.
I can launch a terminal windows (in the GUI), get the IP address assigned, and launch a PuTTY window.
When I try to resize the Linux GUI screen, the screen does not resize, and becomes unresponsive.
The PuTTY works still works fine.

It is very frustrating. The last version of Virtualbox to work correctly was 5.1.36.
So, my strategy has been to try the latest version of Virtualbox, to see if the issue has been fixed.
When I discover that it still doesn't work, I downgrade to 5.1.36.

I have a Word doc (*.docx), and tried to upload it, but the forum does not allow *.docx files to be uploaded.

Very frustrating.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: GUI resize problems with Oracle Linux 7u6 UEK5 latest

Post by andyp73 »

Jeff Kayser wrote:I have a Word doc (*.docx), and tried to upload it, but the forum does not allow *.docx files to be uploaded.
Why would you want to upload a document in a format people may or may not have the ability to read? Simple text files (zipped) are all we need. If there are screenshots that help the explanation then they should be inserted into the message using the "Upload attachment" tab.

As to your issue, I think we need to start with the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, attempt the screen resizing and then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Jeff Kayser

Post by Jeff Kayser »

Hi, Andy.

Thanks for your reply.

I had downgraded to 5.1.36 previously, so I upgraded to 5.2.22 again. The guest resize worked OK at the office.
When I went home (using a different display), and I startup the Oracle Linux guest, I am getting a black screen that is not quite as big as my monitor would allow.
I waited for probably 5 minutes, but the Linux GUI never appeared. So, I shutdown the VM, and am uploading the VBox log file.

~Jeff Kayser
Attachments
VBox.zip
(27.61 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by Jeff Kayser on 16. Nov 2018, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Kayser

Post by Jeff Kayser »

Back at the office, it works fine again. Figure that out.
If I downgrade to VB 5.1.36, the Linux GUI works at both home and office.
I have attached the VBox log from this morning (at the office), where it works OK.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(28.9 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Jeff Kayser

Post by Jeff Kayser »

Back at home, the Linux GUI does not work. I get the partially-resized black screen again. I waited for about 1 hr 40 minutes, no luck.
Attacking the VBox.log file.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(27.58 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Jeff Kayser

Post by Jeff Kayser »

Back at the office, it works fine. VBox logfile attached.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(27.65 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Jeff Kayser

Post by Jeff Kayser »

Back at home, Linux GUI doesn't work. The overall Virtualbox screen resizes to full screen, and then the Linux GUI resizes to 85% of the full screen.
The Linux GUI screen is all black. I waited for a few minutes, and then stopped the VM.
Uploading VBox.zip file.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(27.52 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Jeff Kayser

Post by Jeff Kayser »

I got tired of not having a Linux GUI at home, so I downgraded to Virtualbox 5.1.36, and it works just great.
VBox log attached.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(29.76 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
JiF_Brodeur

Post by JiF_Brodeur »

Hi Same problem, I updated the Oracle Linux Kernel from 4.1.12.124.22.2 to latest 4.14.35.1818.4.7 both x86_64. If I boot with the previous kernel resize works, switch to the new kernel no resize and there is a message Keranel arming .. vboxadd-service ... that seems to hang. running Vbox version 5.2.22 r126460.
I tried with the latest VBox build and GA version 5.22.23, the install log and setup log show no error but still at load time there is an issue with vboxadd-service and kernel crash reporter starts and then the GUI cannot be resized. Step to reproduce download from Oracle the latest ova from developer day, import into virtualbox all good upgrade the GA still all good, run yum update and update the kernel, voilà!
Thanks
Jean-Francois
JiF_Brodeur

GUI resize problems with Oracle Linux 7u6 UEK5 latest kernel

Post by JiF_Brodeur »

Hi, I updated the Oracle Linux Kernel from 4.1.12.124.22.2 to latest 4.14.35.1818.4.7 both x86_64. If I boot with the previous kernel resize works, switch to the new kernel no resize and there is a message Kernel arming .. vboxadd-service ... that seems to hang. running Vbox version 5.2.22 r126460.

I tried with the latest VBox build and GA version 5.22.23, the install log and setup log show no error but still at load time there is an issue with vboxadd-service and kernel crash reporter starts and then the GUI cannot be resized.

Step to reproduce download from Oracle the latest ova from developer day, import into virtualbox all good, upgrade the GA still all good, run yum update and update the kernel, voilà! breaks the graphic resize!
Thanks
Jean-Francois
Jeff Kayser

Re: GUI resize problems with Oracle Linux 7u6 UEK5 latest kernel

Post by Jeff Kayser »

I've never gotten it to work with a VB newer than 5.1.36, and I've tried alot of the newer releases.