3D acceleration causes guest machine to display black screen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Jeremy Smith
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LMDE 3 Cindy

3D acceleration causes guest machine to display black screen

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I am using Linux Mint LMDE as the guest OS. 3D acceleration was working a while ago but I installed guest additions and it seemed to stop working after that. Not sure what the version was originally. Did a bunch of searching and some posts were saying that some guest additions don't work with 3D acceleration so tried several different versions that were suggested in various posts but nothing seemed to fix it. I am currently using 5.1.30 and it doesn't work. I have attached a log to view. I can't seem to figure out why it's not working.
Attachments
VBox1.zip
Should be the correct log file
(32.84 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3D acceleration causes guest machine to display black screen

Post by socratis »

00:00:17.300483 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.30 r118389 '5.1.30'
You have an older installation of the Guest Additions (GAs) installed. If 3D acceleration is causing your display to go blank, then disable it, update the GAs, then re-enable it again.

To update the GAs, with the VM window having the focus go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and follow the prompts.

BTW, the log you attached shows that 3D acceleration is enabled. And keep in mind that you have an Intel GPU, which isn't known as the most powerful or compliant in the market...
00:00:02.481429 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Intel
00:00:02.481449 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) HD Graphics 2500
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

socratis wrote:To update the GAs, with the VM window having the focus go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and follow the prompts.
Yeah it was working originally but updating to the latest ones I think is what made it stop working. I am at that version because I tried downgrading as other posts I had seen suggested doing which didn't quite fix it. I can update it and post the log again if you would rather see that?
socratis wrote:BTW, the log you attached shows that 3D acceleration is enabled. And keep in mind that you have an Intel GPU, which isn't known as the most powerful or compliant in the market...
That may be but it was working previously. The log I attached was when I tried booting it up with 3D acceleration enabled.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

When posting a random log, from a random run, with random settings, that doesn't help identify the problem. We'd like to see "The Log" where/when the problem occurs.

And you need to do some triaging. Which version works, which one doesn't? 3D enabled or not? I don't have your host in front of me so I can't do that for you. And it's not that I can fix it for you, I only can gather evidence presented, spot mistakes in the configuration. If a newer version fails, that needs to be registered as such, and if multiple reports come in, then dig further and try to find out what's going on...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Well that was the log from the latest run that I tried using 3D acceleration with. I thought it seemed the most relevant. To be honest I don't know what version I was on before I updated the GAs. I have tried 5.2.20, 5.2.4, 5.1.30 and some other one a couple version before 5.2.20. Don't remember which. I didn't want to have to download every GA and try each and every one. I just thought that maybe there was a known issue with them not working correctly with Linux guests after a certain version or something. That's more so what I was looking for. The machine works fine without 3D acceleration. I just found it weird that it was working one day and updating the GA seemed to break it.

I will just keep randomly trying GAs.
Last edited by socratis on 7. Nov 2018, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
artkor

Post by artkor »

I experience similar problem. Oracle Linux 7.6 with latest VirtualBox and latest additions (Version 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2)) won't work in 3D acceleration mode. It gets stuck when starting X system.
System itself continues working. I can shutdown it with ACPI shutdown, or switch to text mode with Ctrl+Alt+F[2-9]
Attachments
messages.zip
/var/log/messages
(88.81 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Poil

Post by Poil »

Hi,

I think same problem as me on Ubuntu 18.10 : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90282
JoergK

Post by JoergK »

artkor wrote:I experience similar problem. Oracle Linux 7.6 with latest VirtualBox and latest additions (Version 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2)) won't work in 3D acceleration mode.
Well, since OL 7.6 is a sibling to RHEL 7.6 you could possibly suffer from the same problem I did. GA stopped working after upgrading 7.5 -> 7.6. Reinstall did not work because the GA did not compile. See Error building the graphics driver module in RHEL 7.6 (#18093) for further information.

The problem is fixed after (not in) 5.2.22. I'm currently using a testbuild to work with RHEL 7.6.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I updated to LMDE3 from LMDE2 and it worked for a while. A windows update got installed and then it went back to just being a black screen. I updated virtualbox and installed new GAs and it boots up but in software rendering mode.