Internal Networking Between Guests Only Working In One Direction

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
howlow

Internal Networking Between Guests Only Working In One Direction

Post by howlow »

Hello,

This is my first time posting a question to this forum.

I am have a Debian (Stretch) host running VirtualBox 5.2.20.
I have one guest running as a pfsense firewall and a second guest running Debian (Stretch).
All adapters are Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM).

I will glaze over the rest of the network topology of the pfsense guest but the key is that one of its adapters is set to "Internal Network."
The Debian guest also has one adapter set to "internal Network." This is its only adapter and would serve as its sole connection to the outside world.

The issue I am having is that I cannot get the Debian guest to communicate with the pfsense guest.

Both Internal Networks are set to the same network (intnet-1). The pfsense guest is running a DHCP server and the Debian guest actually does get an IP from it. Pfsense can even ping the Debian guest but for some reason the Debian guest will not ping Pfsense back.

Given DHCP and ping are both working in one direction I have a feeling the issue may not actually be the Internal Network configuration but rather something to do with the guest. I have made sure that the Debian guest's firewall is not an issue. It isn't because its currently set to allow all. I have tried seeing if it was a missing route and changing all addresses to static but to no avail.

I was able to set up all the rest of a fairly complex 8 port firewall pretty much without issue except for this and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

I would very much appreciate assistance in figuring this out.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Internal Networking Between Guests Only Working In One Direction

Post by socratis »

Could you post some numbers? Like IPs, netmasks, gateways, DNS, or anything else that might matter?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
howlow

Post by howlow »

Thank you for the response. However, I will no longer need assistance with this. I finally figured out the issue. It was configuration on the Pfsense firewall. I had neglected to make sure that it would accept traffic of that kind, or any for that matter.

Sorry to waste your time. This issue can be marked as solved, or even deleted since it kind of has no value.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

howlow wrote:This issue can be marked as solved, or even deleted since it kind of has no value.
Oh, it definitely has its value, as it might jog the thought process of a future searcher. ;)
Thanks for letting us know. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.