[Invalid] VirtualBox login requested

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Benoni

[Invalid] VirtualBox login requested

Post by Benoni »

Hi there,

I was running a Linux Mint 19 guest system on my windows 10 host, to get access to some Linux-only programmes.
After installing the guest editions, which enabled me to use shared folders, I now face the attached screen, when I want to start the virtual machine.
It says:
"Linux Mint 19 Tara niklas-VirtualBox tty1
niklas-VirtualBox login:"
When I enter my username (niklas) and the corresponding password, it says "login incorrect".
I spent some time googling and tried various recommended username/password-combinations without success.
I don´t know why this screen appears suddenly , but it prevents me from working with Linux.
What should I do?

Thank you
Attachments
VirtualBox_login.png
VirtualBox_login.png (14.75 KiB) Viewed 6392 times
Last edited by socratis on 6. Nov 2018, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox login requested

Post by socratis »

Benoni wrote:What should I do?
No matter what you try to do, that's something between you, and your VM. This is definitely not a VirtualBox issue. VirtualBox has no idea of what's running, what a user is or is not, and certainly nothing about passwords.

You wouldn't ask that question to a computer manufacturer like Acer/Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo, would you? Well, same deal with VirtualBox.

If anything else fails, re-install the VM and make sure that you write down the password and that you install the default US keyboard at a minimum, in case there's a mismatch between your keyboard layouts.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Benoni

Post by Benoni »

Thank you for your quick response socratis.
I followed your advice to simply create a new VM and to forget about the old one.
Problem solved.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Tha's why I use "1234" for everything, from ATM cards to nuclear launch codes! :D
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Invalid].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.