Copy and paste has stopped working

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Steve_JJ

Copy and paste has stopped working

Post by Steve_JJ »

Hi,

I am running VBox 5.1 with an Ubuntu guest (Linux Mint 18.1).

Code: Select all

/root >uname -a
Linux steveslinux 4.4.0-53-generic #74-Ubuntu SMP Fri Dec 2 15:59:10 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I was using bidirectional copy and paste between the Windows hosts and linux guest, however it has stopped working.

The guest additions still appear to be loaded:

/root >lsmod | grep -i guest
vboxguest             286720  1 vboxvideo

/root >dpkg -l | grep -i guest
rc  virtualbox-guest-utils                5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.1                 amd64        x86 virtualization solution - non-X11 guest utilities
rc  virtualbox-guest-x11                  5.0.40-dfsg-0ubuntu1.16.04.1                 amd64        x86 virtualization solution - X11 guest utilities
I can manually start the service:

/root >/etc/init.d/virtualbox-guest-utils start
[ ok ] Starting virtualbox-guest-utils (via systemctl): virtualbox-guest-utils.service.
It is still enabled in the "main guest window", Devices->Drag and Drop ("bidirectional" is selected)

It is still enabled in the VirtualBox "Manager": if I select the guest then General->Advanced, both the "Shared Clipboard" and "Drag 'n' Drop" options are set to "bidirectional"

The copy and paste was working perfectly, but suddenly stopped working.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks
Steve
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Copy and paste has stopped working

Post by socratis »

Steve_JJ wrote:I am running VBox 5.1
There's no version 5.1 of VirtualBox, please be more exact. And if it's a 5.1.x, that's an unsupported older version. Please update your VirtualBox version, and then install the updates according to the manual, from the menu Devices » Insert Guest Additions CD Image...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Steve_JJ

Post by Steve_JJ »

I am using Version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right... Just as I said, upgrade to the supported 5.2.20. Including the GAs in your guest.

After you do, and if you still have a problem, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jerryandt

Post by jerryandt »

I was having the same problem. I tried retracing my steps. I reverted to 5.1.30 as the VB. Still no change. I found an old additions copy, "\VBoxGuestAdditions_5.0.16.iso". I put this into the virtual optical drive. Then, inside the Ubuntu VM, I executed the linux 'run' file. I now have my old 2017 setup that allows copy and paste. I will avoid upgrading anything until the "Additions" bug can be found. (I guess I must now learn how to submit a bug report...)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jerryandt wrote:I will avoid upgrading anything until the "Additions" bug can be found.
Something related has already been found, see next.
jerryandt wrote:I guess I must now learn how to submit a bug report...
Don't bother, it's there. Alternatively, you should learn how to use better search terms, like "copy paste osx site:forums.virtualbox.org", which would lead you to "Copy Paste problem after installing VirtualBox 5.2.6". Read the discussion there carefully please.

Copy/Paste works. Just for simple text, not formatted text. See ticket #15782: Shared Clipboard failing; Guest to Host -> fixed in 5.2 builds after Nov 10 2017.