[Fixed] GUI doesn't load after 5.2.20 update (#18116)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: GUI doesn't load after 5.2.20 update

Post by michael »

Does this still happen if you update X.Org? The following patch in the X.Org git repository seems to fix that:

Code: Select all

commit 258081759fa70202a2e6134eeee4fe25ca54bedb
Author: Tobias Klausmann <tobias.johannes.klausmann@mni.thm.de>
Date:   Fri Mar 30 22:31:46 2018 +0200

glamor: sanitze handling of "Debug" Option for "dmabuf_capable"

With the appearance of the this new Option the X Server would crash if the
    option is not set.

Default dmabuf_capable to off/FALSE for now - a user without knowledge about
    this option does not want to enable it until its save.

Fixes: d11d5bb80 ("glamor: Hide new DRI behind Option "Debug" "dmabuf_capable")
    Signed-off-by: Tobias Klausmann <tobias.johannes.klausmann@mni.thm.de>
    Reviewed-by: Adam Jackson <ajax@redhat.com>
And the change is in the current Ubuntu 18.10 X server source.
Dekker

Post by Dekker »

I'll be honest and say I don't know how to pull in this build (upstream/experimental)...

"inxi -G" gives X.org 1.20.1

sudo apt list xserver-common
gives v1.20.1 only
claud9999

Post by claud9999 »

I'm having the same issue and would appreciate instructions on how to set dmabuf_capable to false.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Here's the complete patch with the diff:
https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-commi ... 41045.html
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

By the way, I am somewhat confused here. When I run Xorg in gdb (with debug symbols installed) until I hit the crash point, the line information given does not match the source. The package versions do match though.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

The Ubuntu X people helped me debug this, and it was not what I thought. Investigating. Feel free to create a bug report for this on the bug tracker so that I have something to reference in the next change log if I end up fixing something.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

claud9999

Post by claud9999 »

So...sounds like VirtualBox doesn't work with Wayland-based Linux GUI's? Any plans to support Weyland (EGL) in the future? (I kinda read your comment in the ticket as "will be fixed in the next release?)
Last edited by socratis on 9. Nov 2018, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: GUI doesn't load after 5.2.20 update (#18116)

Post by socratis »

claud9999, the way I read it was "3D acceleration will be disabled for Wayland distros in the next release", therefore avoiding the issue(s). Could be wrong...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dekker

Post by Dekker »

Just an update:

VBox 5.2.22 resolves the issue! I can boot, install the guest additions, reboot, and it works. 3D is enabled and appears to be working as expected.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dekker wrote:3D is enabled and appears to be working as expected.
Not quite. From the release log:
• Linux Additions: disable 3D for recent guests using Wayland (bug #18116)
Dekker

Post by Dekker »

Noted. I had run glmark2 to test, and, though slow, didn't fail.

At least this patch allows the existing VMs to boot, albeit with slightly diminished performance. Eagerly awaiting a more permanent fix!
Dan Harkless
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by Dan Harkless »

claud9999 wrote:I'm having the same issue and would appreciate instructions on how to set dmabuf_capable to false.
If you're running a version of Xorg new enough to support this new option, I believe you would edit your xorg.conf file or appropriate xorg.conf.d/* file, and add:

Section "ServerFlags" 
    Option "Debug" "dmabuf_capable" "false"
EndSection
If you have an existing ServerFlags section, you might have to add the dmabuf_capable line to it, rather than making a new section; not sure.

I am also getting:

[drm:drm_crtc_helper_set_config [drm_kms_helper]] *ERROR* failed to set mode on [CRTC:28:crtc-0]
errors on my CentOS 7.x guest, but in my case the GUI works fine other than warning me about that kern.err message every time I maximize the VirtualBox 5.2.22 console window on my Windows 7 host (which I do pretty often, as I move the console window between my two monitors).

Also, in my case, the dmabuf_capable option does not exist in the CentOS 7.x Xorg, so I can't do anything about these notifications until either that option (assuming it would fix this) gets added by Red Hat and CentOS, or VirtualBox addresses whatever introduced the problem in 5.2.20 (assuming it wasn't actually a Red Hat / CentOS kernel or Xorg update that did it). I've started a new thread about this: Linux guest kernel DRM CRTC error when maximizing Windows host VirtualBox console in 5.2.22.