Sound is crackling

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Leloup78

Sound is crackling

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

When watching video, at starting, sound is correct for 10s then the crackling increases dramatically. To fix this issue, I stop the video. I wait one or two seconds. I read again video. Sound is correct for 10s then this noise increases again and so on.
if I don't do something, the issue dispears then occurs again.

Do you have any idea where does that come from?

VM 5.2.18 r12319
Guest: Linux Mint 19 Xfce
Host: Win7

Regards,

Le Loup
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Sound is crackling

Post by socratis »

Leloup78 wrote:Do you have any idea where does that come from?
Have you searched the forums? For sound problems? You wouldn't be asking that question if you had... ;)

Sound is an issue, especially with videos. They're working on it for a long time now, because it's a really difficult problem. The one biggest "issue" in a virtual machine is timing. And A/V really depends on accurate timing...

Try the latest 5.2.x test builds and/or development builds. There are almost daily improvements, but remember that things might actually get worse, there's that possibility, especially with the development builds. Read the whole page carefully!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

The VirtualBox competitors made proposal to add a virtual sound adapter to the virtual machine. By default, the virtual sound adapter is not installed in the virtual machine. Have you wind that the VirtualBox designers have proposed the same thing or something equivalent?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Leloup78 wrote:By default, the virtual sound adapter is not installed in the virtual machine.
I'm not even sure what that means. Almost every VM template comes with a sound card that is appropriate for the guest that you're installing. What exactly are you talking about? What's *not* installed?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

Socratis, you know what?
To cross one's fingers.I have loaded the latest version 5.2.20 of VirtualBox. I touch on wood but I can't hear the crackling any more. Incredible...but true.... :lol:

Regards,

Leloup
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Leloup78 wrote:but I can't hear the crackling any more
I know of a couple of developers that are going to have a big smile now... ;)