Linux Mint 18.3 guest screen, user login, goes scribble

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
taxedserf

Linux Mint 18.3 guest screen, user login, goes scribble

Post by taxedserf »

Does anybody know why this (see screenshot) happens?

On this particular Windows host, VirtualBox normally works well, no issues. But, a different day just happens to be in a different location on a different network. That's the sole change. And no matter how many times I bounce either guest or host, the screen returns scribble.

The guest's boot-up screens - all basic text/terminal console - are fine. It's only at the point the guest's user login screen appears that the screen goes scribble.

I've seen this on a different Windows host, but a re-boot of the guest normally fixes it.

But not today on this particular machine!

(screenshot is very small because of the upload limit of 128Kb)
Attachments
ss 201810051047 VM guest goes scribble.PNG
ss 201810051047 VM guest goes scribble.PNG (109.45 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 guest screen, user login, goes scribble

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Also, as a test, can you disable 3D acceleration and try again?
taxedserf wrote:I've seen this on a different Windows host, but a re-boot of the guest normally fixes it.
Chances are that they had under-powered GPUs.

And you have a workaround! ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
taxedserf

Post by taxedserf »

Both logs attached.
Attachments
VB logs with and without 3D accel.zip
(52.57 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
taxedserf

Post by taxedserf »

Here's another log.

This time, the same physical machine, with the same virtual machine, are run in their normal office, normal network and normal power supply (a docking station).

The result is that VB works normally. Log attached.

It's very bizarre that the same machine goes screen-scribbly when on either a different network or on a different power supply. (at the other network location, the power supply is the mains socket and/or the battery.)
Attachments
Linux Mint 19 Xcfe 32bit-2018-10-10-12-47-30- back to normal network and power all ok.zip
(24.48 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
taxedserf

Post by taxedserf »

Here's a pair of logs.

The same physical machine, with the same virtual machine, are run in their normal office, normal network and normal power supply (a docking station).

The first session resulted in a scribbly screen.

The second session was normal.
Attachments
Linux Mint 19 Xcfe 32bit-2018-10-11 scribble and no scribble.zip
(47.16 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

taxedserf wrote:It's very bizarre that the same machine goes screen-scribbly when on either a different network
The network is the same in all cases, that's not it, it's a red herring:
00:00:01.139098 [/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/] (level 4)
00:00:01.139099   Driver <string>  = "NAT" (cb=4)
It's NAT, nothing special about it, the most adaptable. Plus the configuration is the same, even at the DNS level, which could be the only difference if you move around, but no, it's the same on both.
taxedserf wrote:or on a different power supply. (at the other network location, the power supply is the mains socket and/or the battery.)
That's where I think your problem lies. Your logs look like two drops of water; completely identical. Therefore, I have to assume that it's not the VirtualBox part that's different, but the host. And you say that it is. Which part? The power supply.

I have the suspicion that the power may affect your GPU and/or CPU, and it's affecting their performance mode. Can you double-check your host for signs of that nature?

But all of the above is practically splitting hair, when the biggest problem you have is this:
00:00:55.701633 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
Not only are those older Guest Additions (GAs), they're not the ones that you should have installed in your guest.

You did not install the guest additions, you simply inserted the CD, and you didn't take any action when prompted. Eject it (from within the guest) and re-insert it (from the host). Be sure to again eject the GAs CD once you're done with the installation.

PS. Please do not post several logs from several runs. One is more than enough... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.