[Solved] OEM 13c (oracle enterprise manager) on Virtualbox

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
rfpm

[Solved] OEM 13c (oracle enterprise manager) on Virtualbox

Post by rfpm »

I've tried 30+ times to install Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c on Virtualbox with no success. At the first start of OMS the installs stalls then fails. I've tried dozens of config options (Virtualbox and Linux) to overcome this. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Environment
OEL 6.10 Host OS
RAID 1 (OS)
RAID 0 (for VM storage)
Not using LVM on Host
OEL 6.10 guest OS
VirtualBox-5.2-5.2.10_122088_el6-1.x86_64.rpm
Tried with 4/6/8/10 guest CPU's
Tried with 32/40/50 GB guest RAM
Tried VMDK/VDI disk type
Tried IDE/SATA/SCSI/SAS VM controllers/drives
Tried dynamic and fixed disk

At the first "Starting OMS" instance the CPU's are absolutely pegged (near 0 idle).

Install log (silent install)
Executing the OMSCA command...
Check the log files of the OMS Configuration Assistant at: /orahome/Middleware/cfgtoollogs/omsca
OMS Configuration Assistant completed successfully.
2018-10-03_02-34-07PM: Configuration Assistant "OMS Configuration" has Succeeded.
2018-10-03_02-34-07PM: Configuration Assistant "Plugins Deployment and Configuration" is in progress.
2018-10-03_03-03-04PM: Configuration Assistant "Plugins Deployment and Configuration" has Succeeded.
2018-10-03_03-03-04PM: Configuration Assistant "BI Publisher Configuration" is in progress.
2018-10-03_03-18-22PM: Configuration Assistant "BI Publisher Configuration" has Succeeded.
2018-10-03_03-18-22PM: Configuration Assistant "Start Oracle Management Service" is in progress.
Starting OMS ...
Executing the command: /orahome/Middleware/bin/emctl start oms
Starting of OMS failed.
Starting export oms config...
Executing command: /orahome/Middleware/bin/emctl exportconfig oms -dir /orahome/oms/em/EMGC_OMS1/sysman/backup
Export config of OMS is successful.
*** The installation was Successful, but some configuration assistants were failed or cancelled or skipped. ***
Logs successfully copied to /orahome/oraInventory/logs.
Last edited by socratis on 5. Oct 2018, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OEM 13c (oracle enterprise manager) on Virtualbox

Post by socratis »

Not familiar with the "Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c" (OEM13c), and neither can I familiarize myself with it, the minimum RAM requirements are 10 GB. Don't have that much to spare...

But, I was looking at the requirements and I found "Hardware Requirements for Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c Release 1", where it says (emphasis mine):
Note:
The hardware requirements outlined in this chapter can relate to either physical or virtual hardware. If you are allocating virtual resources, you must ensure that the underlying physical hardware is not over subscribed and can support the allocated virtual resources.
So, they seem to refer to a VM, where you could install OEM13c. Which after a tiny search ("oracle enterprise manager 13c virtualbox") led me to the "Enterprise Manager » Downloads", where it talks about VirtualBox templates and a VM. Did you try any of these?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rfpm

Post by rfpm »

Thanks socratis,

Yes, I've reviewed the requirements for OEM 13.c installs. The VM's I've tested with exceed the requirements. Its a single OMS (medium) install. I've seen the Oracle Virtual templates but can't use it since I need to install OEM 13.2 on a specific OEL ISO (custom).

The underlying Host server is a very robust Sun x7-2 with 96 CPU threads,752GB of RAM and 2 RAID arrays.

Appreciate your feedback.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rfpm wrote:can't use it since I need to install OEM 13.2 on a specific OEL ISO (custom).
Well, shouldn't you have divulged that information in the first place? That you're doing something "custom"? Who knows what's in that custom ISO that won't let you boot properly?

At least try the official ones as a proof-of-concept, just to make sure that it's the "custom ISO" that might be broken, and not OEM13c in general, as it sounds from your post.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rfpm

Post by rfpm »

Its a "custom" ISO made by Oracle. Tested and certified. OEM 12c had installed on it previously with no issues. As did OEM 13.0.

13.2 is not installing.

Thanks
rfpm

Post by rfpm »

FYI, in case anyone has this issue, the problem is solved by enabling “Large Pages” on the Virtualbox guest.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rfpm wrote:solved by enabling “Large Pages”
Interesting... I would have thought that just by enabling the "64bit", "PAE" and "HwVirtEx" flags in the template that "LargePages" would have been enabled as well.

Thank you for the feedback and the solution, hope someone finds it useful in the future. Marking as [Solved].