No 64-bit guests on Hyper-V systems

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
remi9898

No 64-bit guests on Hyper-V systems

Post by remi9898 »

When trying to create a VBox VM it only displays 32-bit operating systems, and when i try to boot from a 64-bit Linux iso it fails with "vt-d is not enabled". Vt-d is enabled in the UEFI properties and shows as enabled in Windows 10 task manager. Hyper-V is completely disabled in my operating system (in the Programs menu > add Windows Features > uncheck all 6 boxes related to Hyper-V and then reboot). My computer has an x64 Intel core I7 6600 processor and 64-bit Windows 10.

The "problem" is my company gave me a new laptop in which the operating system is running inside Hyper-V. There are no other hyper-V guests on the physical machine.

I understand VBox's position of not supporting systems that are concurrently running vt-d and Hyper-V because there's no way to coordinate across the two. However, in my case, Hyper-V isn't really running or completing with intel virtualization. Any way around the issue in cases like this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No 64-bit guests on Hyper-V systems

Post by mpack »

First, VT-x (not VT-d) is the relevant Intel virtualization feature. VT-d is something else entirely.

For the rest, we already have a FAQ to cover it, because it gets real boring explaining the same thing over and over: FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
remi9898

Post by remi9898 »

Yes, I read the FAQ.
Section 1:
1. Pass.
2. Pass.
3. Pass.
4. N/A. The 64-bit o/s'es are not listed.
section 2:
1. Pass. All check boxes are clear.
2. Pass - the Guard features were never configured.

Still not working, hence my post.

Hyper-V is fully disabled and there is not even the ability to create a virtual machine, but the o/s utility systeminfo reports "A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed." This means my host is running within Hyper-V, but AFAIK virtualization technology is not impeded.

I guess in section 1 of the FAQ you could add ...
5. The host o/s cannot be installed in a Hyper-V environment.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

If your "operating system is running inside Hyper-V" your comany is using the advanced security features of Windows 10 like Device Guard or Credentials Guard.
In such an environment you don't have VT-x access and cannot use VirtualBox with 64bit guests.