[Solved] No share folder

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
philippe97
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: LinuxMint 17.3 Mate 32 bits, LinuxMint 18,3 Xfce 64 bits, LinuxMint 17.3 Xfce 32 bits

[Solved] No share folder

Post by philippe97 »

Hello
my configuration : host snow leopard, VB 4.3.40, guest Mint 17.3 Rosa xfce 32
I 've installed the guest additions, process seems going to the end, see the logs attached,
I've the good screen resolutions, i can select the share folder and name it as share but it doesn't appear on the desktop,
i'm waiting for /home/user/share but there's nothing; is there a special command to see the share folder ??
thanks for your help
Attachments
VBox.log.2.zip
(20.78 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by socratis on 29. Sep 2018, 20:37, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No share folder

Post by socratis »

Not sure why you posted two (almost) identical logs, but it's a good thing that you posted them in separate ZIP files; it made it easier to delete one of them. Not all logs are needed, just one log that shows the problem.
philippe97 wrote:but it doesn't appear on the desktop
It will not appear on the desktop. It depends on how you mount it.
philippe97 wrote:i'm waiting for /home/user/share but there's nothing
It won't appear there either.
00:00:00.965867 Host path '/Users/philippeherzog/Desktop/share',
                map name 'share',
                writable,
                automount=false,
                create_symlinks=false,
                missing=false
I suggest you turn that Automount feature on in the VM Settings » Shared Folders » edit your share and enable the Automount feature.

Then in your guest you're going to see the share in "/media/sf_share". If you can't access the share, you'll need to make yourself part of the "vboxsf" group:
  • 
    sudo usermod -a -G vboxsf <your_name>
Then log out and log in again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
philippe97
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: LinuxMint 17.3 Mate 32 bits, LinuxMint 18,3 Xfce 64 bits, LinuxMint 17.3 Xfce 32 bits

Post by philippe97 »

OK thank you very much; it's ok now; i've done the sudo command and i've a share folder now in "/media/sf_share"

So my problem is solved !

Just a question this path "/media/sf_share" is the normal one ?
because in an other configuration who works fine, the path is "/home/<my_name>/share" ...

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

philippe97 wrote:OK thank you very much; it's ok now;
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
philippe97 wrote:Just a question this path "/media/sf_share" is the normal one ?
Yes. The automounted shares are mounted in "/media/sf_<ShareName>". See the User Manual for more details.
philippe97 wrote:because in an other configuration who works fine, the path is "/home/<my_name>/share" ...
That depends, you may have mounted the share manually, but I highly doubt that you would want to mount something in your user home folder.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.