A significant improvement from Linux Mint18.3 to 19 with VM VirtualBox 5.2.18

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Leloup78

A significant improvement from Linux Mint18.3 to 19 with VM VirtualBox 5.2.18

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

Since many version of Linux Mint, before 19, the background picture was tainted by an insert indicating a problem with the hardware acceleration. Now, with Linux Mint and the VM VirtualBox 5.2.18, as shown the enclosed picture below, this recurrent problem is fixed.

http://img110.xooimage.com/views/4/2/d/ ... 24b34.png/

Regards,

Leloup
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: A significant improvement from Linux Mint18.3 to 19 with VM VirtualBox 5.2.18

Post by socratis »

Be careful with that. The newer Linux distributions come bundled with Guest Additions to make especially the graphics work better. But that version of the GAs suffers in other areas, such as Shared Folders, Drag n Drop, etc. You're going to be better off, if you keep on the current practice and install the GAs that come bundled with VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leloup78

Re: A significant improvement from Linux Mint18.3 to 19 with VM VirtualBox 5.2.18

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour,

My PC with Linux 18.2 Cinnamon heats too much when video displaying. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85141.
I did again a test with Linux 19 Cinnamon. I would have thought it would be better but not at all. This is the same. PC heats too much. Die temperature meets more than 80°C. :oops:
I did the same test with both Linux 19 Mate and Linux 19 XFCE. Temperature does not exceed 60°C for the same video.
:D
Regards,
Leloup