[Fixed] Guest additions for linux fails (5.2.18) on FC 28 4.18.7

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
awynne

[Fixed] Guest additions for linux fails (5.2.18) on FC 28 4.18.7

Post by awynne »

Shared folders disappeared after an upgrade to the latest 5.2.18. When running guest additions i get the following error

Code: Select all

> sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run 
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.2.18 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.2.18 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules.  This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Look at /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log to find out what went wrong
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until the system is restarted
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: modprobe vboxsf failed
the vboxadd-setup.log has this:

/tmp/vbox.0/utils.c: In function ‘sf_init_inode’:
/tmp/vbox.0/utils.c:165:28: error: passing argument 1 of ‘sf_ftime_from_timespec’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
     sf_ftime_from_timespec(&inode->i_atime, &info->AccessTime);
                            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/utils.c:53:53: note: expected ‘struct timespec *’ but argument is of type ‘struct timespec64 *’
 static void sf_ftime_from_timespec(struct timespec *tv, RTTIMESPEC *ts)
                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
/tmp/vbox.0/utils.c:166:28: error: passing argument 1 of ‘sf_ftime_from_timespec’ from incompatible pointer type [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
     sf_ftime_from_timespec(&inode->i_ctime, &info->ChangeTime);
my system:

> uname -a
Linux wynne 4.18.7-200.fc28.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Sep 10 15:44:45 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest additions for linux fails (5.2.18) on FC 28 4.18.7

Post by socratis »

You should try the latest Test builds, I believe they address the problem. Prefer the "Test builds" compared to the "Development snapshots".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
awynne

Post by awynne »

Thanks for the quick response. Do you mean that I can use a 5.2.19 test build of Guest Additions with my 5.2.18 installation OR I should install a 5.2.19 version of VirtualBox?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Why? Do you download separately the GAs? You shouldn't; they're bundled with the main installation. So, get the 5.2.19 installation of the main program and go with that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
awynne

Post by awynne »

The latest test build (VirtualBox-5.2.19-125117) with bundled guest additions solved the problem. Now i have shared folders back. Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Fixed], since this is something that's going to be fixed with the next release.

Generally speaking, if you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also consider doing the same for VirtualBox. And sometimes VirtualBox needs some time to catch up.
plurgid

Re: [Fixed] Guest additions for linux fails (5.2.18) on FC 28 4.18.7

Post by plurgid »

actually all one needs to restore shared folders is the guest additions from the test builds linked above.

just a note for those ... who, like me decided to give the full test build a try, then discovered the drivers aren't signed on the test builds and hence you will never be able to install it on an IT managed workstation at your job ...