Virtualbox guest OS screen resolution to huge

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
axessvm

Virtualbox guest OS screen resolution to huge

Post by axessvm »

I feeling I have an opposite effect than most other people that install Ubuntu as a guest OS because I saw many were having trouble with the window being to small after the installation/restart. After trying install the virtual guest additions, I feel things have been much worse. The options for auto resize guest display and virtual screen is all greyed out. I also tried reinstalling virtualbox manager and creating the VM twice again. I just don't know what happenthat cause this issue as things were find in the past with no issues and I have never ever tried to install guest additions before too.

I am using Virtualbox 5.1.12, ubuntu-18.04-desktop-am64 iso, and VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.18
axessvm

Re: Virtualbox guest OS screen resolution to huge

Post by axessvm »

Just did more experiementing. On my host Windows machine the display scale/layout size of text,apps option is 150% and resolution is 1920 x 1080 which both are recommended by Windows. I just expieremented with the scale/layout option by setting it to 125%, and my guest OS is to small but not pixelated. I changed back to 150% and tried to open other apps like Google Chrome and Adobe Acrobat and it was fine at 150%. It just the virtualbox manager program/guest OS has a problem with setting that option to 150%.
axessvm

Re: Virtualbox guest OS screen resolution to huge

Post by axessvm »

I got a okay solution to my problem. I made a clean install Virtualbox and got the newest Ubuntu iso. I lowered the scale factor to 125%. Now my guest OS was normal as expected and not small like I had in my other comment up above. I am able to resize my guest OS manually resizing it myself.

I feel that the issue was the scaling factor on my host OS somehow made an effect on the Virtualbox manager app and in turn my guest OS too.