Ubuntu freezing: Getting VbglR0HGCMInternalCall: vbglR0HGCMInternalPreprocessCall failed. rc=-54

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Kord

Ubuntu freezing: Getting VbglR0HGCMInternalCall: vbglR0HGCMInternalPreprocessCall failed. rc=-54

Post by Kord »

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.1 64 bit in Virtual Box 5.2.18 and I've also installed VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.2.18.
After Guest Additions installation, Ubuntu becomes unresponsive. For instance, whenever I open a browser (e.g. Firefox) and try to maximize it, Ubuntu freezes. Looking into the logs I see thousands of lines like this

Code: Select all

VMMDev: Guest Log: VbglR0HGCMInternalCall: vbglR0HGCMInternalPreprocessCall failed. rc=-54
and about 30 lines like this

Code: Select all

VMMDev: Guest Log: VBOXGUEST_IOCTL_HGCM_CALL: 64 Failed. rc=-54 (Hdr.rc=-225).
I have 3D Acceleration enabled and I tried(I think) all possible combinations
  • 1, 2, 3 or 4 CPUs
  • All Paravirtualization interface options
  • Video memory 128, 64, ..etc
I have attached the log
VBox.zip
(79.34 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Any recommendation ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu freezing: Getting VbglR0HGCMInternalCall: vbglR0HGCMInternalPreprocessCall failed. rc=-54

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.576762 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll:
    rc=VERR_CR_PKCS7_KEY_USAGE_MISMATCH fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.
    inf_amd64_5c0f2d8f376b3180\nvinitx.dll: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on
    '\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvlt.
    inf_amd64_5c0f2d8f376b3180\nvinitx.dll'
You have a hardening problem. Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible... I'd start by downloading and (re)installing the NVidia drivers.
00:00:02.295797 File system of 'C:\Users\Adrian\Downloads\VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.18.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
It's a good habit to eject your Guest Additions (GAs) ISO when you're done with the GAs installation.
00:02:33.875470 VMMDev: Guest Log: VbglR0HGCMInternalCall: vbglR0HGCMInternalPreprocessCall failed. rc=-54
You have a gazillion of those, and I don't know why. Did the GAs install correctly? Can you install them again and watch the output of the process? Even better record it? Because failing in the HGCM, that's the Host-Guest Communication Module (Maybe "Manager"? Something along those lines anyhow). Something's not right...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Kord

Re: Ubuntu freezing: Getting VbglR0HGCMInternalCall: vbglR0HGCMInternalPreprocessCall failed. rc=-54

Post by Kord »

Thanks Socratis,
I've tried your suggestions, but I still have the problem: (I've removed ISO image, I've updated NVidia drivers and I've reinstalled Guest Additions and I'm including below a screenshot of the installation).
I've also attached VBoxHardening log file.
Meanwhile I'm checking "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" page you mentioned.

Thanks again
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(30.12 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
guest_installation.png
guest_installation.png (76.62 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your VBoxHardnening.log looks OK, so does the installation of the GAs...
I got nothing more...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.