Ubuntu 18.04 'Running' But Stuck on Dependency Screen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Cegg

Ubuntu 18.04 'Running' But Stuck on Dependency Screen

Post by Cegg »

I am currently running an Ubuntu VB on Windows 10 and just started getting an issue whereby when I run the machine it stays on the screen shown in the attached image:

I'm fairly new to VMs and I was wondering how can I get past this screen on to the actual VB to uninstall this program and address this issue?
Attachments
VM Error.png
VM Error.png (16.79 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
Last edited by Cegg on 28. Aug 2018, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 'Running' But Stuck on Dependency Screen

Post by socratis »

1. Please familiarize yourself with some screen-grabbing tools. You're going to need them. A JPEG phone capture is not the best way to grab a screenshot. With the VM having the focus, press HostKey+E (that's the default), or go to the menu: View » Take screenshot... (HostKey+E). Save it as PNG (the best format for screen captures). Then edit your message, and replace the phone shot with the proper screen shot. Everyone can read it, everyone is happy. ;)
  2. We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
    • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
    • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
    • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cegg

Post by Cegg »

Thank you for responding :D . I updated the original image attachment to a screenshot. The screenshots I had taken before were only coming up as black screens but I had to turn off 3D acceleration.

I attached the zipped 'VBox.log' file as an attachment
Attachments
Ubuntu Dev-Log.zip
(26.15 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

First of all, Thank you! for editing your message and replacing the picture!
VirtualBox VM 5.2.12 r122591 win.amd64 (May  9 2018 10:42:46) release log
00:00:02.110819 Installed Extension Packs:
00:00:02.110848   None installed!
You should update to the latest and greatest, 5.2.18 as of this writing. Also if you can use the Extension Pack, do download that as well. Just remember to keep them at the same version, the main VirtualBox app and the Ext.Pack. Before you upgrade, make sure that you eject the Guest Additions CD from the VM. And do not upgrade while the VM is in Paused or Saved State, but completely shutdown.
00:00:02.243746 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
I'd take that to 32, 64 or even 128 MB. It's way too low for today's standards. And maybe put on a word in the developers to increase the defaults, these are mostly for headless servers, not for workstations which seems to be the majority of the installations.
00:00:21.064910 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r120774 '5.2.8_KernelUbuntu'
Not only are these older Guest Additions, but they're the forked kind. Once you're up and running, you should uninstall the forked version of the Guest Additions and install the ones that come bundled with VirtualBox.
00:00:58.352403 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/LdrLoadDll:
    rc=VERR_SUP_VP_NOT_OWNED_BY_TRUSTED_INSTALLER fImage=1 fProtect=0x0 fAccess=0x0
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\18.151.0729.0005\amd64\
    FileSyncShell64.dll: supHardenedWinVerifyImageByHandle: TrustedInstaller is not the owner of
    '\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\18.151.0729.0005\amd64\
    FileSyncShell64.dll'.
00:00:58.352550 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: rejecting
    'C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\18.151.0729.0005\amd64\FileSyncShell64.dll'
    (C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\18.151.0729.0005\amd64\FileSyncShell64.dll):
    rcNt=0xc0000190
You seem to be having a hardening problem with that DLL. I don't know what's it doing there, but it definitely looks like and AMD related DLL. I honestly don't know what's it doing in your "AppData\Local\" directory, but it looks like it's trying to load itself at some point in the VirtualBox space, without being properly signed. The thing is that you don't even have 3D enabled...

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.