Settings for Mac Xeon 10.13.6 (17G65)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jkdev

Settings for Mac Xeon 10.13.6 (17G65)

Post by jkdev »

Just bought an iMac Pro, plenty of power (8 core Xeon) and memory (32G), 500G of disk space that only 40G is used. I have install CentOS 7 on Virtual Box, and seeing a lot of variability in performance. What I mainly see is that gnome-terminal will take 99% of the CPU randomly. If I kill the process, it restarts the window and things go back to normal. In another case, if I move an application window, from the host perspective, I see a 'black' window which is the outline of virtual box, and then the app is in the forefront, missing the CentOS app title bar.

This happens frequently, every ten minutes or so. What settings should I use? I am using the following:

System:Base Memory: 16G
Chipset: ICH9
Enable I/O APIC
Processor: 4
Execution cap: 100%
Enable PAE/NX
Paravirtualization: Default
Hardware Virtualization: Enable Nested Paging
Video Memory: 60MB
Scale Factor: 100%
Enable 3D Acceleration
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Settings for Mac Xeon 10.13.6 (17G65)

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Linux Guest" from "OSX Guests". 1) You have an OSX host, and 2) the problem is in your Linux (CentOS) guest.
jkdev wrote:What settings should I use?
With the exception of RAM, number of CPUs, VRAM and HD size, nothing that isn't proposed by the templates. See next...
jkdev wrote:Chipset: ICH9
Why, oh why? Do you mind hovering over that and reading the tooltip? Then please revert to the default PIIX3. Do NOT deviate from the proposed defaults, unless you really know what you're doing, why, and what to expect.
jkdev wrote:Processor: 4
I would need to see evidence that you can actually spare 4 cores (not threads, cores) for your guest. We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Once again just to make it clear, both for you and for future searchers: do NOT deviate from the defaults. They're there for a simple reason; they work.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.