[WorksForMe] port forwarding troubleshooting

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
agentswitters

[WorksForMe] port forwarding troubleshooting

Post by agentswitters »

Hello Neighbors,

looking for help on port forwarding in general I think. my goal is to forward port 2095 to virtual ubuntu machine on a Mac. I have a Verizon fios router.
ive spent a couple days researching and trying things to no avail- come to find out I can't even get port forwarding to work for 2095 on the Mac itself so I've got a mystery stumbling block somewhere.

I set up port forwarding for 2095 to the Macs ip in the router, then checked with portchecker.co and it shows closed. I tried DMZ for the Macs ip, still shows closed. This makes me think that all the attempts with Ubuntu on the virtualbox were in vain because something is wrong upstream?

in virtual box I have:-installed the extension pack. -set network to bridged
in ubuntu I have: -installed the guest additions, perl, gcc, make
I then forwarded the port 2095 to the virtual box ip in the router and came up with a closed port- this is what led me to try the port forwarding on the host machine.

any lessons, tips, ideas greatly appreciated!

thanks
max
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jul 2018, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: port forwarding troubleshooting

Post by socratis »

There's got to be something "listening" on that port, a server of sorts. What do you have? Have you started simply with accessing that port from the VM? Do I get it right that what you want to do is:
  • World --> Router --> Host --> VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
agentswitters

Post by agentswitters »

yes thank you socratis, once I ran the application that wanted that port, it showed open on the portchecker.co
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.