How to get the UUID of hard-disk

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
cargoo

How to get the UUID of hard-disk

Post by cargoo »

VirutalBox 5.2.12
Oracle Linux 6.8

I can't get the UUID of hard-disk using 'scsc_id --whitelisted --replace-whitespace --device=/dev/sdb' command?

Please help me!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: How to get the UUID of hard-disk

Post by andyp73 »

cargoo wrote:I can't get the UUID of hard-disk using 'scsc_id --whitelisted --replace-whitespace --device=/dev/sdb' command?
I'm assuming this is a typo when you have created the post but isn't the command "scsi_id"? You'll need to post more information (like the error that is returned) to convince us that this is a VirtualBox issue and not just a generic Linux issue - again, assuming Oracle Linux 6.8 is your guest.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It would save time if you gave us the exact command and exact error message. Don't paraphrase.
cargoo

Post by cargoo »

I made a mistake, the real command is 'scsi_id --whitelisted --replace-whitespace --device=/dev/sdb'. when run this command, I got nothing. It should be return a UUID like "1ATA_VBOX_HARDDISK_VB256b1aea-3611084c". I think it is a virtualbox issue.

using LSi-SCSI controller
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

cargoo wrote:I think it is a virtualbox issue.
What VirtualBox issue do you think it is?

IMHO guest software locking up or giving no message is a guest software problem, perhaps permissions. Do you get output if you use "sudo ..." ?