Ubuntu 16.04 does not start on VB 5.2.12.22591

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
LSFDash

Ubuntu 16.04 does not start on VB 5.2.12.22591

Post by LSFDash »

Hello. I've received the following message while trying to host Linux Ubuntu 16.04 (32-bit) on VirtualBox 5.2.12.22591.
"A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped."
As a newbie to VirtualBox, I do not know how to read the log file for errors. Will someone please assist on identifying the problem and provide guidance towards a possible solution?

Thank you!
Attachments
Ubuntu-2018-07-03-14-38-17.zip
(19.92 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 does not start on VB 5.2.12.22591

Post by socratis »

00:00:05.526701 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
00:00:09.035442 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz"
Normally I'd say that your CPU can/can't use VT-x. But your E7500 CPU has an indication that I honestly haven't seen before: "See Ordering Info".

So, I don't know if your CPU supports VT-x or not. You'd have to download one or more CPU identification programs (preferably from Intel) and find out what the capabilities of your CPU are. And then adjust your BIOS accordingly, if possible.

BTW, I didn't see a Guru Meditation in your log. Did you "truncate" it by any chance?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:So, I don't know if your CPU supports VT-x or not. You'd have to download one or more CPU identification programs (preferably from Intel) and find out what the capabilities of your CPU are.
I saw this processor once before and found the following on Tom's Hardware:
Toms Hardware wrote:First of a little information, if Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7500 processor that you have has a sSpec# of SLGTE or SLB9Z then it doesn’t have VT-x support. On the other hand if it is SLGTE then the processor will VT-x support. The SLGTE was the only one of the E7500’s that were offered as a boxed product (retail package).
It then becomes a bit recursive as it sends you back to the information on the Intel Ark page that you linked to earlier.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The fact that the error message is "VT-x is disabled in the BIOS" rather than "VT-x is not available" leads me to believe that VirtualBox has already looked at the capability flags, and the processor supports VT-x.

So, go into the host BIOS and enable it. Tips can be found in FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.