Ubuntu 18.04 LTS does not start on VirtualBox 5.2.12 Windows 10 Pro

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
vre

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS does not start on VirtualBox 5.2.12 Windows 10 Pro

Post by vre »

After applying patches to my Ubuntu 18.04 installation, I am not able to start it anymore. Neither in the normal start mode nor in the recovery mode I am able to start. It first showed up when I applied patches and run a 4.15.0-23 kernel. A possible fallback was to explicitly start the 4.15.0-20 kernel that still would boot. But after a second update this kernel also refuses to start. When starting the guest it shows the VirtualBox logo and after that I see a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner - nothing more. Disabling 3D acceleration did not change anything in the behaviour, it still does not start.

The specs are:

Host: Windows 10 Pro 16 GB 64 bit, Hexacore Intel Xeon E5-1650 Processor 3.20 GHz, 16 GB RAM
Guest: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit, 4GB RAM, 4 processors, 128 MB graphics memory

See the VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log attached.

Can anyone help to revive the installation?
Attachments
VBoxLogs.zip
Virtual Box Log Files
(46.42 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS does not start on VirtualBox 5.2.12 Windows 10 Pro

Post by socratis »

I don't see anything wrong with either of the logs. Do you have a backup of the VM to try? Can you try a new installation of 18.04? I have a similar VM like yours and it boots just fine. Maybe the problem is in the guest itself...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vre

Post by vre »

Thank you for your help on this issue.

A fresh reinstall of 18.04 does work flawless, but in the beginning I was hoping to avoid that. The system in question has been running Ubuntu since 16.04 and was regularly updated some time after new versions have been released. I found out that someone had similar problems with 18.04 LTS version. See this thread: https://superuser.com/questions/1331617 ... tem-update.

Thanks again.
vre

Post by vre »

Fascinating ...

I created a new virtual machine in VirtualBox, used the existing VDI image of the non starting Ubuntu installation and ... was able to start the recovery mode and later normal mode. Don't know what happened now but it is up and running again :).

Cheers
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you still have the old VM, locate the .vbox files for both the non- and the working one and put them in a ZIP file so that we can compare them.

You can get the .vbox files by right-clicking on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, Show in <File Explorer>.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vre

Post by vre »

I added the vbox files. U1804 is the newly created Virtual Machine using the old VDI image. Ubuntu64bit is the original VM.

I really do appreciate your help.

Cheers
Attachments
VboxFiles.zip
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sorry for the late reply... The only differences that I could find that would make any difference, are (in the new U1804 VM):
<LongMode enabled="true"/>
<X2APIC enabled="true"/>
Those are the defaults for the newly created Ubuntu-based VMs. I believe that the "long mode" may have made the difference, I really don't know why...
vre

Post by vre »

Thank you for your answer.

I was happy that it started working again, but was afraid that it might stop for unknown reason again. Your answer gave me confidence I did nothing wrong with my configuration. :D
nomdeguerre

Post by nomdeguerre »

vre wrote:" ... Windows 10 Pro 16 GB 64 bit, Hexacore Intel Xeon E5-1650 Processor 3.20 GHz, 16 GB RAM
Guest: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit, 4GB RAM, 4 processors, 128 MB graphics memory
... "
hi vre :)

i'm just wondering if you are using the package VirtualBox-5.2.16-123759-Win as your installer? :?:

i'm inquiring since i can't see any option for Ubuntu 64-bit in the dropdown lists :idea:

cheers! 8)
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

nomdeguerre wrote:i'm inquiring since i can't see any option for Ubuntu 64-bit in the dropdown lists
You probably should have created a new thread as you don't really have the same issue. You need to start by reading I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

-Andy
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
vre

Post by vre »

@nomdeguerre,

exactly. I used VirtualBox-5.2.16-123759-Win.exe to install on a Windows 10 64-Bit host system.

Cheers
nomdeguerre

Post by nomdeguerre »

at the moment, i'm having an Ultimate Windows 7 64-but ... however, when i check BIOS it seems there was no setting to enable Virtual Capable 64-bit :(

do you think that my unit is quite old already (in which i need to upgrade)?
vre

Post by vre »

Really don't know, as you are not exposing detailed information what your current setup is (at least processor, RAM, OS). My "ancient" hardware (3,5 years old) has everything that is needed to run VirtualBox.
To evaluate your hardware, definitely more information is needed.

Cheers
nomdeguerre

Post by nomdeguerre »

hi vre and good day to all ;)

as of the moment, i'm using NEC PC Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit Intel Core 2 Duo E700@2.80GHz 8G RAM.

however, after i installed VirtualBox-5.2.16-123759-Win that i can't find in the dropdown lists Ubuntu 64-bit :(

so i wonder if there is another package or installer that has Ubuntu 64-bit option?

i followed the steps shared by andyp73 which i can't find any tabs or selection in BIOS for virtualization though with the used of SecurAble, it shows "No Hardware Virtualization" (This processor does not offer advanced hardware support for hardware virtualization}.

hope i give enough information.
Last edited by socratis on 2. Aug 2018, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nomdeguerre wrote:Intel Core 2 Duo E700@2.80GHz
According to Intel, the Core 2 Duo E700 might or might not have VT-x available (that's a first). So you have to find a utility that gives you more information about your specific CPU. CPU-Z or Coreinfo from Microsoft both can do that.

If your CPU does not have VT-x, then you cannot run 64-bit guests. And from what you're describing, that seems to be the case. Your computer might not be capable enough for such guests.