Guru Meditation at GUI Linux Guests

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
maloe123

Guru Meditation at GUI Linux Guests

Post by maloe123 »

Hello,

my host is Manjaro Linux 17.1.10 x86 without VT-x enabled and latest updates installed.

In the past I were able to run several Linux Guests e.g. Xubuntu 16.04 without problems.
But now I am unable to boot *buntu, or Debian, Linux Mint etc because the vm aborts with Guru Meditation.

Surprisingly for me, bodhi linux live, the installation and the first boot worked.
But after the first reboot the X server did not start, I got errors like "gpu-manager failed to detect available gpus".
A Google search let me install the "xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04" package and after 1 reboot I got the same error as the *buntu systems.

My Vbox.log is here because it was too big to attach: pastebin(DOT)com/kFfB2TsP

Thanks for your thoughts :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guru Meditation at GUI Linux Guests

Post by socratis »

maloe123 wrote:my host is Manjaro Linux 17.1.10 x86 without VT-x enabled
I highlighted the problem. As VirtualBox version increase, they rely more and more on VT-x being available, and the same goes for newer guests. You can either switch to an older version of VirtualBox with older guests (think 5 years back), or you can upgrade your computer to something that's less than 10 years old...
maloe123 wrote:My Vbox.log is here because it was too big to attach
Even if you ZIP it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
maloe123

Re: Guru Meditation at GUI Linux Guests

Post by maloe123 »

Thanks for your fast answer. I already thought it has something todo with it or with the guests.
At this moment I have to deal with the old hardware, I'll try my luck with a new bodhi installation.
And if this dont work, I'll try older virtual box versions and guests as you mentioned.
Even if you ZIP it?
56kb zipped :oops: