Keyboard not responsive and Mouse not clicking after VirtualBox 5.2.12 re-install

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Golobolus

Keyboard not responsive and Mouse not clicking after VirtualBox 5.2.12 re-install

Post by Golobolus »

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some help with regards to my case, I'm running Kali Linux [Linux kali 4.16.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.12-1kali1 (2018-05-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux] as Guest under VirtualBox 5.2.12 with a Windows 7 host, Yesterday it was still working fine then I had to do a reboot after apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade, and now Keyboard and Mouse is not functional, the mouse moves as you hover on the Guest Desktop but upon clicking items it's not working, same goes with my keyboard. It definitely works on the HOST machine even before so I know that it's not a hardware issue.

can anyone help me? My last resort would be a total re-install of the Guest but that is way inconvenient as of now...

thank you!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Keyboard not responsive and Mouse not clicking after VirtualBox 5.2.12 re-install

Post by mpack »

Make sure you have not defined a USB filter that could possibly match the host mouse or keyboard - or any other unintended device. Basically, no blank USB filters.
Golobolus

Re: Keyboard not responsive and Mouse not clicking after VirtualBox 5.2.12 re-install

Post by Golobolus »

Hi mapck

Thank you for the swift response! :wink:

I did not define any filters for the USB setup, It was just an out of the box re-installation, I can however login to the VM but after gnome loads everything is at still, mouse stops clicking but is moving and the keyboard also has no responding keys.

It's kinda weird though, since after a re-installation and just re-adding the VMs that i have then this issues went out..
Last edited by socratis on 15. Jun 2018, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The only other thing I can suggest is to reinstall the Guest Additions. Otherwise you would have to look to the guest OS for an explanation.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Golobolus wrote:since after a re-installation and just re-adding the VMs that i have then this issues went out..
Does "went out" mean that the problem is now solved?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Golobolus

Post by Golobolus »

Hi socratis,

Sorry mate I must have misused the term, the statement was supposed to be, "issues that came out".

and to answer your question, the issue still remains. I will try to re-install the guest additions as suggested,

thank you guys, really appreciate the replies.
Last edited by socratis on 15. Jun 2018, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.