LXD Containers and VBox?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Rayj2016

LXD Containers and VBox?

Post by Rayj2016 »

I am hearing that there could be issues with Vbox when the VM is using Ubuntu LXD containers?

The issue appears to be DHCP related? I cannot get an IP from my router DHCP server into my containers.

Does anyone know if there are issues with Vbox when using containers on the guest?

Thanks,

Ray
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: LXD Containers and VBox?

Post by socratis »

Rayj2016 wrote:I am hearing that there could be issues
Why don't you make sure of it first? And if and when you do, be exact about the issues.
Rayj2016 wrote:Does anyone know if there are issues with Vbox when using containers on the guest?
The first (and foremost) issue that I see is that you're talking about nested virtualization, a.k.a. not supported. The first thing that you'll notice is that there will be no VT-x in the guest, but how you're going to deal with that, that's a question that you'll have to ask at the Ubuntu support channels. Same goes for networking...

Having said that, I just tried it as a proof of concept and LXD seemed to work "fine" on a 16.04 Ubuntu VM that I have hanging around. "Fine", as it didn't complain and it seemed to start, that's it. I didn't go any further than simply creating a container. I don't have, neither I plan on, getting to know LXDs any better... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Is LXD containers the same as nested virtualization? If you created a LXD container, did you notice an IP if you did an "lxc list"? I can create LXD containers forever in a Vbox VM. However they will not receive IP's from my DHCP server. This same issue was around with VMWARE. Apparently they fixed their issue.
Last edited by socratis on 3. Jun 2018, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Rayj2016 wrote:Is LXD containers the same as nested virtualization?
A VM running inside a VM? Yeah, that's the definition of nested virtualization, which is not yet supported in VirtualBox. Including networking. I did not try the LXD containers. As I said I just tried it with the "start" part, and then I reverted the snapshot. You're free to try it.

I have tried it with a nested virtualized OS (WinXP on Win7 on OSX, VirtualBox on VirtualBox) with Bridged networking, and it worked. But that was just a "for kicks" try, I wouldn't have lost any sleep if it didn't work...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rayj2016

Post by Rayj2016 »

Note that a container is NOT a VM in the context of hypervisors. There is a pretty big difference between the two.
Last edited by socratis on 4. Jun 2018, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.