Is kernel 3.13 no longer supported for guest additions?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
snailseyes

Re: Is kernel 3.13 no longer supported for guest additions?

Post by snailseyes »

Okay, we are likely now (maybe all along) posting at cross-purposes. Never-the-less, for the benefit of anyone who might stumble across this thread in the future. Your first answer, your list, looks wrong (even if it is right). It does not obviously apply to guest additions. To me, it looked like the list of 'versions' when installing a new virtual machine. Surely that's just the list of presets for distros/kernels, which is independent of guest additions. Using it as proxy for guest addition support is far from obvious, I mean, the comparable list for Windows is hardly a reliable guide of which versions have guest additions.

For the record, I tested permutations of four different kernels with five versions of guest editions in four setups of Mint 17 and Mint 17.3. I narrowed the problem down to a single kernel in a single iso and the version of guest editions it began with. I volunteered plenty of informarion in my first three posts. Later on, my bald assertion that you quoted, was made in the context of me thinking (perhaps wrongly) that you were presenting a 'black swan fallacy'. "Look here is a white swan, black swans cannot possibly exist."
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Is kernel 3.13 no longer supported for guest additions?

Post by socratis »

snailseyes wrote:I tested permutations of four different kernels with five versions of guest editions in four setups of Mint 17 and Mint 17.3. I narrowed the problem down to a single kernel in a single iso and the version of guest editions it began with.
Same here! And guess what? I don't even have a problem with my VMs, I was simply trying to replicate yours and help you out!
snailseyes wrote:I upgraded from Virtualbox 5.1.30 to 5.1.38 (Windows 8.1 host) and found that the new guest additions broke shared folders on a Linux Mint 17.3 guest (and caused a hang on shutdown).
snailseyes wrote:Yes, but that is not what I asked. I wanted to know what works in theory, not in practice.
You *do* see the contradiction here, right?
snailseyes wrote:Because, if kernel 3.13 is no longer supported, then I'll move on. Whereas, if it's still supported, then it could be worthwhile me spending some time trying to get it to work.
I didn't/don't/never had an issue with a 3.13 kernel, no matter what I threw at it. I downloaded ISOs, installed new VMs, tested several VirtualBox versions, everything working perfectly. With the ISOs that you suggested nonetheless!
snailseyes wrote:I volunteered plenty of informarion in my first three posts.
Volunteered the information?

I'm sorry, but you're required to provide information if you want help. But even now, you still haven't provided enough information, you simply said "It doesn't work, anyone else?". For example, you have provided not a single log, not a single compilation output, not a single installation output, or anything close to that.

I should have stopped (volunteering) after I successfully proved that it *does* indeed work, and have marked this thread as a [WorksForMe] long ago, but you'd have said that it was a petty move from my part.

Anyway, I'm done here, I've got more interesting/current projects to spend my (volunteering) time on...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.