[Solved] Questions regarding Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Cloah
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows and Linux Variants

[Solved] Questions regarding Guest Additions

Post by Cloah »

Apologies for revisiting a topic that may have been considered by some to be "beaten to death", but[1] I am also new to Virtual Box and have been running both Windows and Linux virtual machines (primarily on Mac platforms, though I also tried some on a Windows platform as well). At present my main work machine is an iMac running OS 10.13.4 and the version of VirtualBox installed on it is 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3).

Anyway, I have also been having some problems with getting the guest additions to work as flawlessly as they do with Windows (both OS 10 64 bit Pro and 7 32 bit Pro) on my installations of Linux. I have up to now tried Ubuntu 64 bit 18.04 LTS, Mint Mate 32 bit 18.3 and Black Lab Mate 64 bit 11.60, and Manjaro KDE 64 bit 17.1.10.

From what I have gathered from this (and a few other threads) so far as best I can tell here is what I have been able to gather for virtual box guest additions to work.

First and foremost, the versions of VBox and its Extension Pack and the Guest Additions must all be the exact same on both the host machine and the virtual guest machines for them to work (of course) - they are meant to all work in a "set"as far as I understand.

Second, for Linux in particular two things are needed before attempts at installing the Guest Additions take place: the "linux headers"matching the linux kernel in use must be installed and in place, and they must be in the state of ëssential build". (One poster above suggested that the 4.13 kernel had problems in general with VBox Guest Additions and solved it on his Linux install by upgrading to the 4.14.15 kernel [this was in January of this year] and tinkering a bit with it....)

There is also mention of the difference between the Guest Additions officially released by a Linux distro (I believe they were called "forks") and the additions released by VIrtualBox ... not quite sure of the exact differences other than that they are different and can interfere with each other, so it is suggested to remove the fork Guest Additions and install the VBox ones.

In some of the posts above there were commands given for getting the proper linux headers and essential build for one's kernel:

sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

There were also given the commands for making sure that the packages one has installed on the Linux Guest were ïn order", as a Linux install having problems with packages can gum up the works:

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update

Once these were all in a row, it was suggested to reinstall the Guest Additions (presumably from the virtual drive that can be mounted from Virtual Box itself). One thing I did not know was that a message I have seen come up that caused concern was not actually an error:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 5.2.11 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 5.1.26 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Running kernel modules will not be replaced until the system is restarted
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: modprobe vboxsf failed    <<<< This is NOT an error
You may need to restart the Window System (or just restart the guest system)
to enable the Guest Additions.

Press Return to close this window...

On the Black Lab Linux Mate 11.60 machine (which I believe is still based off of the Ubuntu MATE 16.04.3 release) I recently followed the four step pattern of:

sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get update

and then reinstalling the Guest Additions from the Virtual CD. That was actually the first time the terminal showing the process of the install did not show the "false error" highlighted in red in the quoted text above.

The usb printer and ext drive attached to the host machine show up. The printer is usable, and with a little tinkering I can move files to and from the virtual machine via usb drives and so on (though I have to unmount the drive from the host machine, plug it in, and then it shows up on the guest machine).

The bidrectional clipboard also works plenty fine for simple text.

The host's folder I set for mounting on start up in the linux guest shows up now, but it is unbrowsable. The bidirectional drag n drop does not work (although it worked on the virtual windows machines). Seems both of these issues are more related to permissions on the host machine and may be more of a Mac OS issue than the VBox Additions?

With all that said ... the first question is regarding the general outline of things to check for VBox Additions to correctly work on a Linux Guest machine. Are there things I missed? Or that I phrased incorrectly or outright misunderstood?

The second question is related to the mounted folder and the drag n drop functions not working. Does that indeed sound much more of a Mac OS permissions issue or are there some things I missed somewhere in the VBox installation as a whole (I know that is a broad question, but I am moreso hoping for some general feedback of where I could begin to approach it).

Finally, it has been about 4 months or so since the poster mentioned the compatibility that kernel 4.13 apparently had with Guest Additions (of that time). The Black Lab install I am using atm, for example, has the 4.13 kernel.

[1]: ModEdit; question split from "Problem with Guest Additions".
Last edited by socratis on 31. May 2018, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
"It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between."

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

Cloah wrote:Are there things I missed? Or that I phrased incorrectly or outright misunderstood?
The answer is "no" and "no". Very well understood and phrased! One of the few that has actually done their homework! KUDOS!
Cloah wrote:The second question is related to the mounted folder and the drag n drop functions not working.
Take a look in your /tmp folder for the DnD functionality. As for the mounted folder, I'll need more information.

Maybe you should open your own thread instead of piggybacking on this one? This is getting rather big and convoluted in any event...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cloah

Re: Problem with Guest Additions

Post by Cloah »

Apologies in advance regarding asking this question via post - I tried to pm you socratis, but I only have one post on these boards before this one. So I will ask the question here, I guess.

So - a question regarding your suggestion to start a new thread.

How would you like to proceed? Would it be best to simply move my post and your reply to a thread of it's own? Or should I copy the content of my post to a thread I will begin and have you delete the old post, or ... something else?

Many thanks in advance. :)
"It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between."

socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Questions regarding Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

The thread is now on its own. So, let address some things. First, you've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) gets installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
So, the USB problems (or not), are not a GAs problem. Neither are the printer's connectivity. Second, we're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the erroneous behavior.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cloah

Post by Cloah »

Okie dokie ... to get some things out of the way (so we are all on the same page) yes - the extension pack has indeed been installed on the host, and of the same version as the main virtual box installation itself. So that is in place at least.

Also, the guest additions (bundled with the main virtual box installation) are, of course, of the same version as well, and I have mounted it in the virtual cd drive and installed them on the windows 10 pro 64bit virtual guest machine I have installed on the host machine ... and everything works fine on all fronts there. So in terms of the software and packages and all that everything is in place, and works with a Windows installation at least.

The mounted folder I mentioned in the first post is a shared folder on the host (the "downloads" folder on Mac OS 10.13.4, if that affects the discussion in any way) I set to "auto-mount" each time the VM boots up. This same folder on the host I have set for each virtual machine to auto-mount. I am unable to access that auto-mounted "downloads" folder of the host from inside the virtual machine in either linux installation. Again, I have two linux virtual guest machines - one with a Mint Mate 32 bit 18.3 installation and the other with a Black Lab Mate 64 bit 11.60 installation, the latter being based off of the older Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 release. At the moment the virtual guest machine I have questions with is the Black Lab Mate installation.

Before I ask my question, though, I should mention that I took a look in the /tmp folder for the DnD functionality - that was interesting, but I was not able to make much about it ... apologies again as I am pretty new to anything even approaching "tinkering" with the linux operating system.

Anyway, make to the instructions of your most recent post, when you instruct to "observe the erroneous behaviour" of the virtual machine so it will be recorded in the log file ... can you give me a sort of idea of what you want exactly? I assume this means to go to the file manager and try to browse the auto-mounted shared folder, correct? Or something else? Also, are there any other things it may be helpful for me to do to be recorded on the log file?

P.S. As a "just in case" addendum, I generally only run one virtual machine at a time.

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There is a lot of information on the log. It's not just a (potential) error that I want to see...

BTW, regarding the shared folders, did you make yourself a member of the "vboxsf" group? Have you read ch. 4.3.2 Automatic mounting of the User Manual? You should have a searchable PDF included with your installation (Help » Contents). Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for the terms that interest you.
Cloah

Post by Cloah »

Very good then ... here is the zipped vlog file.

I will take a look at the place you mentioned in the manual - I had not read it previously, and it looks promising.
Attachments
Black Lab Linux Mate 11.60-2018-05-30-13-14-13.log.zip
(30.74 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Cloah

Post by Cloah »

Good news ... it was indeed an issue of permissions, but permissions on the vm linux guest side. As you guessed socratis, I was not a member of the vboxsf group.

I added myself to said group using this page as a reference, restarted the machine, and ... voila! I was able to browse the shared "downloads" folder on the host machine.

Such a simple thing, too!

The same pattern also worked on the Mint Mate 18.3 virtual machine ... so I think that's the trick I was looking for.

Thank you very much!

socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Cloah

Re: [Solved] Questions regarding Guest Additions

Post by Cloah »

Hopefully I spared you the time that would have been involved in glancing through the vlog file ... ;)

Am going to try this on a guest vm installation of elementary 0.41 on another iMac that is running an older version on VBox since the host machine is running Mac OS 10.6.8 ... hopefully everything will be straightforward as well!

socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Questions regarding Guest Additions

Post by socratis »

Cloah wrote:Hopefully I spared you the time that would have been involved in glancing through the vlog file ... ;)
Unfotunately not everything shows up in the VBox.log, this problem being one of them... :?