VBox error when updating the Linux Mint C. release

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Leloup78

VBox error when updating the Linux Mint C. release

Post by Leloup78 »

Hello,

I should like updating the Linux Mint Cinnamon release from 18.1 to 18.3 as explained on the link below.
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462

Issue is a VB error with the following message: "Unable to allocate and locked memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close VM."
I increased the virtual size from 25Go to 52.4Go of VDI. In addition, I increase the RAM size from 4096 to 5073Go.
This is the same. During making a system snapshot with timeshift, VirtualBox sends the error message.
What is the VirtualBox limitation?
Do you know another way to updating the guest?
I see on the host manager the button snapshot. We talk about the same thing. I am not sure.

Regards,

Leloup
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VBox error when updating the Linux Mint C. release

Post by andyp73 »

Leloup78 wrote:Unable to allocate and locked memory
I increase the RAM size from 4096 to 5073Go.
It looks like you may have misunderstood what VirtualBox has told you. It is likely that the host didn't have the available RAM that the host requested. Increasing the RAM in the guest probably made the situation worse.

We will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

Bonjour Super AndyP73,

I tested what you told. You were right. I decreased the RAM of guest. I launched Timeshift. It runs. Good! Nevertheless, I received some memory warnings. Then, I launched the System Upgrade by clicking on “Edit->Upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia”. That worked. Good! Only apparently some issues occurred with Oracle Java Installer release 8. I will see later. When starting again the Linux Mint Cinnamon, message 18.3 appeared. Good! But, I get a windows this message error:
"MDM cannot write into your authorization file. That can mean that either the disk space is short or your private directory cannot be open to write. In both cases, it is not possible to connect you. Please contact your system administrator.
I multiplied the tries. I lost the snapshot. I increased the disk memory space from 52Go to 62Go. Is this the reason why I received this message? I don't know. I don't know what memory type is at the origin of the problem. I didn't pick up the log files because I too did many tests.

Regards,

Leloup
Last edited by socratis on 24. May 2018, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Leloup78 wrote:I increased the disk memory space from 52Go to 62Go.
How did you do that? Did you follow the procedure in How to resize a Virtual Drive?

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leloup78

Post by Leloup78 »

Hello,

That runs now...ouf!

In order to make a summary:
- VM VirtualBox manager/configuration/storage
Controller: SATA / add a new HD / create a new disk /VDI / Dynamic /
choose a name to HDD and its capacity (Increase its size)
close the VM VirtualBox.
- From Host, open the Command prompt (DOS) in administrator mode and type:
cd C:\Program\Oracle\VirtualBox (Where is VirtualBox.exe)
VboxManage.exe clonehd "H..previous disk.VDI" --existing "H...new disk.VDI"
That runs as 0%...10%...... ........90%...
- Open Guest from the old disk.
Open Gparted (Else, download it) and open Disk
From these applications, open the new disk and modify the partitions in order to get a main partition in Ext4 and a
secondary partition for swap Linux (~ 4Go)
close Guest
- VM VirtualBox manager/configuration/storage / suppress the old disk (Disk disappears but it is not suppressed)
- Decrease RAM of Guest (as explained above by AndyP73) (1024Mo)
- Start Guest from the new disk
- From terminal, su password apt update or open update manager (two applications)
- Update up level 3.
- In the Update Manager, click on the Refresh button to check for any new version of mintupdate and mint-upgrade-info. If there are updates for these packages, apply them.
- Restart
- Launch Timeshift from the application menu, follow the instructions on the screen to configure it and create a system snapshot.
- Launch the System Upgrade by clicking on “Edit->Upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia”.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Leloup78 wrote:From Host, open the Command prompt (DOS) in administrator mode and type:
You should not open the command prompt as an administrator! Just as the user that created and has access to the VM. Being administrator is not giving you more powers; on the contrary.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.