USB3 Camera not working when plugged into USB3 port

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
adt47

USB3 Camera not working when plugged into USB3 port

Post by adt47 »

I've seen some posts concerning USB3 drives not working when plugged into a USB3 port, and the only solution I've found is to plug it into a USB2 port. I have a USB3 camera (not a webcam) that is not showing up in my virtual machine when plugged into a USB3 port. If I plug it into a USB2 port it appears. I cannot use the camera as a USB2 device, since it draws to much power (4.5W).
Here is the information as per the "USB basics and troubleshooting" post.
VirtualBox version 5.2.12 r122591
Host: Windows 10, version 1709, build 16299.371
Guest: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS trusty, 3.13.0-92-generic. #139-Ubuntu SMP
Output of "VBoxManage -version":
5.2.12r122591
Output of "VBoxManage list extpacks":
Extension Packs: 1
Pack no. 0: Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
Version: 5.2.12
Revision: 122591
Edition:
Description: USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM, Disk Encryption, NVMe.
VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP
Usable: true
Why unusable:
Output of "VBoxManage list usbfilters":
Global USB Device Filters:

<none>
Output of "list usbhost" and "showvminfo" is included in the attached zip file along with the VirtualBox log file. Also, I've included images of the USB settings menus to show the USB settings and filter, and the output of "lsusb" with the camera plugged into a USB2 and USB3 port.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
filesforUSBquestion.zip
(117.98 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB3 Camera not working when plugged into USB3 port

Post by socratis »

I managed to find your camera (SVS-VISTEK GmbH, model exo183CU3) and I noticed one little detail in the tech specs:
Resolution          5496 x 3672 px
Frame rate (max.)   17 fps
Chroma              color
Interface           USB3 Vision
And that little detail drew my attention, and I started searching/reading about it. "USB3 Vision" goes above and beyond the USB3 standard. According to another article that I found:
... while USB3 Vision goes far beyond this to include mechanical requirements for accessories, software requirements for controlling the cameras via GenICam and data transfer via Bulk.
Now that last emphasized part is the one that "worries" me a little bit. Actually a lot, mainly because of this:
Up to 360 MB/s effective transfer rate
That's some fast transfer rate! But, my math are a little different, so I don't know what's going on:
(5496x3672) px/frame x 17 frames/s x 16 bits/px ~= 654 MB/s!
Yeah, that's plenty, a tad more than the theoretical max of USB3 (650 MB/s), so maybe we're looking at a disguised USB3.1? I'm not sure if VirtualBox has the capability to handle something like that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.