Ubuntu 18.04 slow sluggish UI mitigation (sorta)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
wat
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-various

Ubuntu 18.04 slow sluggish UI mitigation (sorta)

Post by wat »

To fix corruption on first boot use the ctrl+alt+f2 then ctrl+alt+f7 trick to switch to terminal and back.

Then I applied this
https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog/gu ... ment-12340
mostly this

Code: Select all

sudo bash -c 'echo vboxvideo >> /etc/modules'
I can't tell if fiddling with opengl settings does anything, probably not. But its gone from sloth like slow to only slightly laggy since.

Ubuntu Mate 18.04 doesn't suffer from this problem, while Lubuntu 18.04 does.

also

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
to see if 3d is enabled does not work with 18.04, doesn't exist.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 slow sluggish UI mitigation (sorta)

Post by socratis »

wat wrote:Ubuntu Mate 18.04 doesn't suffer from this problem, while Lubuntu 18.04 does.
So why does the title of the thread starts with "Ubuntu..." and not "LUbuntu..."?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

wat wrote:also

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
to see if 3d is enabled does not work with 18.04, doesn't exist.
This is presumably because the folks who put Ubuntu together dropped Unity in 18.04 in favour of Gnome3 and also did the sensible thing (IMHO) of going back to Xorg instead of Wayland see The Register: Leave it to Beaver: Unity is long gone and you're on your GNOME

-Andy
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
wat

Post by wat »

socratis wrote:
wat wrote:Ubuntu Mate 18.04 doesn't suffer from this problem, while Lubuntu 18.04 does.
So why does the title of the thread starts with "Ubuntu..." and not "LUbuntu..."?
Because Ubuntu 18.04 does, Ubuntu Mate 18.04 doesn't.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm definitely, honestly confused. Here's what you've said so far:
  • Ubuntu 18.04 is slow
  • Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is not slow
  • Lubuntu 18.04 is slow
Do you want to start clearing things out in our collective heads? When you say "Ubuntu 18.04 is slow" do you perhaps mean "Ubuntu Cinnamon 18.04 is slow" ?

Because "Ubuntu 18.04 is slow" and "Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is not slow" does NOT compute, they're both Ubuntu 18.04...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wat

Post by wat »

socratis wrote:I'm definitely, honestly confused. Here's what you've said so far:
  • Ubuntu 18.04 is slow
  • Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is not slow
  • Lubuntu 18.04 is slow
Do you want to start clearing things out in our collective heads? When you say "Ubuntu 18.04 is slow" do you perhaps mean "Ubuntu Cinnamon 18.04 is slow" ?

Because "Ubuntu 18.04 is slow" and "Ubuntu Mate 18.04 is not slow" does NOT compute, they're both Ubuntu 18.04...
Its based on the default download
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't think we're communicating. I'm asking for full details, and you're on Twitter mode. Oh well...