cannot build petalinux from shared folder directory

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
maenalee

cannot build petalinux from shared folder directory

Post by maenalee »

Hi All!

I'm running a Linux 16.04 LTS guest on windows host (7 enterprise and 10) to config and build Xilinx Petalinux distribution. I'm trying to minimize the VM size by mounting my repoistory on the host and share the folder with Linux guest.
Yet I'm getting these constant errors:
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [/media/sf_vm_shared/repository/bin/Xilinx-ZC706-2016.2/build/linux/kernel/xlnx-4.4] Error 1
ERROR: Failed to build linux
or:
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [/media/sf_vm_shared/repository/bin/Xilinx-ZC706-2016.2/build/linux/kernel/xlnx-4.4/vmlinux] Error 1
ERROR: Failed to build linux
compared with checking out the repository directly on Linux guest (where I"m successfully able to build Petalinux)
I have a 5.2.8 virtualbox and I already tried my vm on previous revisions of virtualbox (4.3.30, 4.3.40, 4.3.12, 4.1.8 )
I do appreciate it if someone could help me with this issue

thanks in advance
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: cannot build petalinux from shared folder directory

Post by andyp73 »

The VirtualBox shared folders only support a minimal amount of functionality in order to read / write files. That being said, I'm not sure what a compilation of the Linux kernel is doing other than reading source files and writing binary objects.

I would look to share the host directory using file sharing in Windows and then mount it in your Ubuntu guest as a CIFS volume.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.