vboxservice fails to start on Fedora 28

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
croucho

vboxservice fails to start on Fedora 28

Post by croucho »

Hello,

upon a fresh install of Fedora 28 i noticed that the guest additions that come bundled with F28 did not work ( clipboard, shared folders, ... ). Then I checked the status of the guest additions service by "systemctl status vboxservice":

Code: Select all

vboxservice.service - VirtualBox guest services
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxservice.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2018-05-07 16:59:59 CEST; 2min 33s ago
  Process: 749 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/VBoxService -f (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 749 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 07 16:59:54 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started VirtualBox guest services.
May 07 16:59:58 localhost.localdomain VBoxService[749]: VBoxService: error: VbglR3Init failed with rc=VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
May 07 16:59:59 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: vboxservice.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 07 16:59:59 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: vboxservice.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'
The version of Virtualbox is 5.2.10 running on a Windows 7 x64 host. The guest additions package from the Fedora repo is 5.2.10.

See the log attached. If there is more information needed, tell me.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(43.92 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vboxservice fails to start on Fedora 28

Post by socratis »

The log doesn't show any signs of Guest Additions (GAs) being installed. But if you did install the Fedora's GAs, you should talk to them, not here.
michael[/url] in ticket [url=https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17705]#17705 wrote: If you think this is a Fedora-specific issue then you can file a bug-report there: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.c ... uct=Fedora Component: virtualbox-guest-additions.

If you want to test whether or not this is a Fedora-specific issue, try removing all Fedora Guest-Additions packages and installing the Additions which come with VirtualBox.
Try to download the latest test build and see if installing the GAs the way that they're meant to be installed (menu Devices » Insert GAs CD image...) without downloading the GAs separately. They *do* come bundled with the main program, and it's the only official way to install the GAs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.