Ubuntu Server 18.04 DHCP issue

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
evrth

Ubuntu Server 18.04 DHCP issue

Post by evrth »

Env: VirtualBox 5.2.10, Win10 Pro
Steps:
  1. Made a new vm to install from ubuntu-18.04-live-server-amd64.iso, Bridged networking
  2. Installer got to the networking selection screen, stuck with network configuration time out
  3. Instead of DHCP, i enter manual IP config and complete install
  4. Reboot
  5. Checked ip, internet - works
  6. Updated /etc/netplan/*.yaml to use DHCP
  7. Ran netplan apply
  8. No Ip
  9. Reboot
  10. No Ip
  11. Switch Network setup to use Nat
  12. Start VM
  13. IP present, internet works
  14. Scram the vm, start fresh install, NAT networking
  15. Installer proceeds through network config no problem
  16. Reboot
  17. Internet works, IP present
  18. Switch Network setup to use Bridge
  19. Start VM
  20. No IP, no internet
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Ubuntu Server 18.04 DHCP issue

Post by socratis »

We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. post the output of "ifconfig -a" from the guest when you can't get an IP.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
evrth

Post by evrth »

Started, network configured to Bridged
Sat at boot waiting for network until timed out
ran ifconfig, saw there's no IP
ifconfig screenshot:
ifconfig
ifconfig
ifconfig.png (13.57 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
ran sudo netplan apply
ran ifconfig again. no change
shutdown the vm
log attached:
radiant-2018-05-03-13-39-34.zip
log
(23.18 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by socratis on 3. May 2018, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
meiser79

Post by meiser79 »

Which NIC emulation do you use? Is it bridged via wifi or LAN?

I faced a similar issue when I used para-virtualization (virtio-net) over bridged wifi. As soon as I switched to e1000 emulation, it worked fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

meiser79 wrote:Which NIC emulation do you use? Is it bridged via wifi or LAN?
According to the logs, it should be an Ethernet connection, but I really don't like that what's referenced in there is the chip (Intel I219-V), not the card. My guess is that it's a motherboard Ethernet, not a separate NIC:
00:00:01.689522 Network <string> = "HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V" (cb=64)
@evrth
I don't think it's VirtualBox, it might be Ubuntu server. I believe that there's something else that's preventing you from getting a Bridged IP. And no, you can not compare a Bridged to a NAT connection.
  • A NAT relies on your host only.
  • A Bridged relies on your DHCP server on your LAN. If you have let's say restrictions there, you won't be able to get an IP. If you have software running on your host, that affects the network system-wide, that could play a role as well.
Do a couple of tests with a LiveDVD, any late release will do, Ubuntu desktop, Fedora desktop, Windows. With the exact same template, just stick the DVD in the VM and make sure that the boot order is set to boot from the DVD. If you can't get an IP with any of them, I'd start looking on what's wrong with your LAN setup.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.