[Solved] Can't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Brutalizer

[Solved] Can't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post by Brutalizer »

I am using 5.2.8 and cannot install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Can you install it? The install screen just goes dark, and never lights up.
Last edited by Brutalizer on 27. Apr 2018, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post by socratis »

Brutalizer,
You should know better by now to
1) post in the appropriate forum, not always in the "Using VirtualBox" ;)
2) include a ZIPPED VBox.log from the failed attempt.

I'm moving this to "Linux Guests" for the moment.

Can you please try with the just released 5.2.10, which definitely includes better support for Ubuntu 18.04? Since 18.04 came after 5.2.8 was out, you wouldn't expect 5.2.8 to include support for something in the future, right?

PS. If 5.2.10 solves your problem, I don't really need to see the VBox.log from the failed 5.2.8...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Brutalizer

Re: [Solved] Can't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post by Brutalizer »

Sorry. :)

This is solved. I had configured 512MB RAM and 128 VRAM, so the RAM was too small. This was to stop Linux from creating large swap partitions. But now I have configured 2048 MB RAM, and everything seems to work fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Can't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going and thanks for the feedback. And thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.