Limited numbers of inodes for shared folder using Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bonnefel

Limited numbers of inodes for shared folder using Guest Additions

Post by bonnefel »

I am using an Oracle VirtualBox (Version 5.1.14) with Windows7 as host system and Ubuntu 16.04.4 as guest system.
To share files between them I use the shared folder of guest addition.

Now I have the problem that I wanted to build a project into one of this shared folder but I haven't enough inodes.

I check this with the command "df -i" and it show me that the shared folder only have 1000 free inodes.
But I need more to build the project.

How I can set a higher limit for it?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Limited numbers of inodes for shared folder using Guest Additions

Post by mpack »

The message makes no sense to me. A shared folder is a network API, not a filesystem. It doesn't have any inodes.
bonnefel

Post by bonnefel »

Then the limit of 1000 inodes maybe are the limit to move or create something in this folder?
Because if I put several files in the Shared Folder and then I looked at the Inodes are zero used.

The problem is that I wanted to create a Xilinx PetaLinux project into this folder. Every works
fine, but at one function called is an automatic creating process and then I got an error
message that I hadn't enough free inodes
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I imagine that the number is pure fiction - a placeholder - and bears no relationship to anything physical.
bonnefel

Post by bonnefel »

I think too. But I have to edit this number to build this project.
Is it possible?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Not really. You should get out of the business of using VirtualBox Shared Folders for anything more advanced than a copy/move files. And even that sometimes has its own problems. Switch to a true network share (NFS, SMB).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

And just FYI: I wouldn't expect "inodes" to make any sense with a true network share either. It's still just a network api, there are no inodes.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

bonnefel wrote:I have to edit this number to build this project. Is it possible?
Since the number is almost certainly a fiction created by the tool you used: no, there will be nothing you can do in VirtualBox to influence that number. A count of inodes is meaningless except when applied to Unix-like formatted local drives. I would be very dubious about software which builds in those kinds of assumptions. E.g. let's suppose you selected the option to format local drives using NTFS. How would you count the inodes in those?