During OS installation the display is cropped with no scrollbars

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
StephenSpaceAlien

During OS installation the display is cropped with no scrollbars

Post by StephenSpaceAlien »

I am attempting to install Corel Linux into a VM on an Ubuntu 14.04 host. My problem is that, during the installation, only about 1/4 of the guest display appears in the VM window. There are no scrollbars and, if I resize the VM window, the guest display resizes with it, leaving me unable to see the entire, guest display. There are responses required during the installation but I cannot see the prompts in the guest display window.

How can I make the guest display fit within the VM window? I have tried changing the resolution and video memory to no effect.
StephenSpaceAlien

Re: During OS installation the display is cropped with no scrollbars

Here are the log files
Attachments
CorelInstallIssue-VM.zip
Log files
(43.95 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
StephenSpaceAlien

Here is a screen shot showing the cropped display.
Attachments
Screenshot showing the cropped guest display
Screenshot showing the cropped guest display
Screenshot.jpg (100.09 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

According to Wikipedia, Corel Linux was last released on 2000-08-15, and died a horrible death at the age of 9 months old! Such a young one... ;)

It's quite old, but that's fine, that's exactly the main idea behind VirtualBox. Where did you get the ISO from, what's the exact version? I've found several links for the ISO, but I'd like us to be in the same page, if we're to compare notes.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
StephenSpaceAlien

Rather than an ISO file, I have an actual CDROM disk with the OS on it. I can't find anything on the disk or on the packaging that says what version it is, but I'm pretty sure it's Corel Linux 2.0. I bought it a few years ago on Ebay as part of a boxed set called, "WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux" which includes Paradox 9, WordPerfect 9, Quattro Pro 9, and Corel Presentations 9 ("and much more!") :lol:
What I think I need help with is just getting VirtualBox to pass a particular display size to the guest.
When Corel Linux is installing, the initial splash comes up looking fine, but after it launches the actual installation, the display is enlarged so much that it gets cropped by the VM window. Resizing the VM window only stretches the guest content with it.
StephenSpaceAlien

I did a little digging around in the CDROM and found a "volinfo.txt" file that contains this information:
Product Name:     Corel Linux 1.1
Platform:         Linux x86
Language:         North American English
Media:            Open Circulation CD-ROM
OS Build Number:  322
KDE Build Number: 1429
MF Number:        110 
RTM Date:         March 10, 2000
Product Name:     2.2.14 Kernel + Base Packages
Product Name:     Corel selected Slink packages
Product Name:     Corel enhanced KDE 1.1.2
Product Name:     Netscape Navigator
Build No:         4.7
Last edited by socratis on 22. Apr 2018, 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [pre] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

StephenSpaceAlien wrote:Rather than an ISO file, I have an actual CDROM disk with the OS on it.
Nice! ;)
It would serve you better in the long run however if you create an ISO from the actual CD, much, much faster (and quieter) access.
StephenSpaceAlien wrote:the initial splash comes up looking fine, but after it launches the actual installation, the display is enlarged so much that it gets cropped by the VM window.
I know exactly what you're talking about. And no, it's not just the Corel Linux installer that does that, believe it or not, some of today's installers still suffer from that, especially Debian based installers.

I have something in mind to test, but I'd like -if possible- to avoid giving advice that I haven't tested myself. I'll try to find a suitable ISO, test it and see if what I believe might work, will actually work. News later at 9... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid I don't have good news, I couldn't make it work... No matter what I threw at it, it wouldn't barge, so I'm at a loss as well. And I don't know who to blame at this point, VirtualBox or CorelLinux. Sorry I couldn't help you more...
StephenSpaceAlien

Thanks a lot. At least I know it's not just my system where this is happening. I have an old box that I may try to revive. I had Puppy Linux running on it a few years ago, so it might be able to load Corel Linux from the CD. If I can get Corel running on that, I can make a Redo backup of it, save that as a .vdi and then install to VM from that. It will keep me off the streets, at least. :D

Another thought comes to mind: If I can install an older version of Debian into VM (or even onto my empty partition) maybe I can get WordPerfect 2000 to install onto that without having to install Corel Linux. There are all kinds of ways I can have fun with this.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

StephenSpaceAlien wrote:If I can install an older version of Debian into VM (or even onto my empty partition) maybe I can get WordPerfect 2000 to install onto that without having to install Corel Linux.
That's a really, really excellent idea! Unless Corel in their infinite wisdom decided to lock the installer based on some kernel info, or some unknown signature. I could expect everything and anything from Corel...
StephenSpaceAlien wrote:It will keep me off the streets, at least ... There are all kinds of ways I can have fun with this.
I honestly admire your fighting spirit. My hat is off to you sir! Kudos!!!
StephenSpaceAlien

In my searching, I found a remark from someone stating that one might try "bochs" virtual machine to host Corel Linux.

So I found bochs and installed it, but when I try to run the "DLX" linux demo that comes with bochs, it throws an error which says, "ERROR: without /usr/bin/gzip in your PATH, I cannot continue." On my system, gzip is in /bin/gzip but I don't know how to make a PATH yet.

Once I get that figured out and successfully run the DLX demo, then I will see if I can find out how to boot a client from my Corel ISO file which I have stored on the host computer's HDD.
stephen@CLM1001-Ubuntu:~$ whoami
stephen
stephen@CLM1001-Ubuntu:~$ bochs-dlx
---------------------------------------------------------------
            DLX Linux Demo, for Bochs x86 Emulator
---------------------------------------------------------------
Checking for bochs binary...ok
Checking for DLX linux directory...ok
Checking for /usr/bin/gzip.../usr/bin/bochs-dlx: 70: /usr/bin/bochs-dlx: /usr/bin/gzip: not found
not found
ERROR: without /usr/bin/gzip in your PATH, I cannot continue.
stephen@CLM1001-Ubuntu:~$
Last edited by socratis on 15. May 2018, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced attachment with actual text.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

These are the VirtualBox forums, not the "Virtualization in general" forums. I suggest you take the Bochs issues at a Bochs forum.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:I'm afraid I don't have good news, I couldn't make it work... No matter what I threw at it, it wouldn't barge, so I'm at a loss as well. And I don't know who to blame at this point, VirtualBox or CorelLinux.
I have had a quick look with an ISO I found for Corel Linux 1.2 and everything within the display appears to be enlarged. My guess would be that the Corel installation process switches to a specific video mode (possibly one of the extended VESA modes) that isn't supported properly (or at all) in the VirtualBox video BIOS.

If I can find some time, I might have a poke around in the source code and see what is going on.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't remember exactly what I tried, but definitely "CustomVideoMode<n>", "setvideomodehint", custom "vga=ask" and a couple of "vga=0xABC" as parameters to the kernel. Nada. Maybe it's the custom mode that you refer to... :?