Batch Linux Installation

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
teidelu

Batch Linux Installation

Post by teidelu »

Hello.
I have the following question (maybe naive, but I will submit just the same).

When I install manually a Linux (say, CentOS or RHEL) in VirtualBox,
at start up the grub menu appears (Installation CD in virtual tray).
Then I can manually choose a type of installation and afterwards, depressing tab key, fill the details of the installation itself.

Suppose now that I already know in advance both the kind of installation and all of the details of it.
This should end, for example in a kernel execution over a line similar to this:

kernel vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img ks=cdrom:/ks/ks_mode.cfg text device=eth0 ip=<IPADDRESS> netmask=<NETMASK> gateway=<GATEWAY> hostname=<HOSTNAME> Zone=Europe/Rome password<PASSWORD>

Where: <IPADDRESS>,<NETMASK>,<GATEWAY>,<PASSWORD> & <HOSTNAME> are FIXED and KNOWN in advance.

So the above line is completely known BEFORE VM starting.

Is it possible to use VBoxManage to start a VM that bypasses grub menu to be manually filled,
and installs Linux OS directly with the chosen (known in advance) configuration?

In other terms, having the details of installation known in advance is it possible to lead
installation process completely in batch mode?

Thank you in advance,
/A.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Batch Linux Installation

Post by socratis »

teidelu wrote:In other terms, having the details of installation known in advance is it possible to lead installation process completely in batch mode?
Have a look at ch. 8.42 VBoxManage unattended. I don't know of anyone that's tried it yet, because it's a brand new addition to VirtualBox, so, let us know about your experiences.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.