boot fail when guest additions arrive

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jam78zen

boot fail when guest additions arrive

Post by jam78zen »

My host is linuxmint 18.3, running a dozen VMs, all linuxmint except two are WinXP. These have all run normally for many years, through numerous VBox updates, up to and including VBox 5.2.8.
When I install Ubuntu 18.04 beta2, it works fine -- until I install the guest additions.
The boot behavior seems normal at first, but then it cycles rapidly between littlewindow and fullscreenwindow a couple of times; then it halts without ever arriving at a desktop display. I've attached the last screenful of boot messages.

What could be causing this?
Attachments
beaver_defect.png
beaver_defect.png (38.51 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: boot fail when guest additions arrive

Post by ChipMcK »

jam78zen wrote:What could be causing this?
Ubuntu 18.04 beta2
Zip up the first log and attach it ("Upload attachment")
TomL12953
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Commodore OS, Win 8

Post by TomL12953 »

jam78zen wrote:My host is linuxmint 18.3, running a dozen VMs, all linuxmint except two are WinXP. These have all run normally for many years, through numerous VBox updates, up to and including VBox 5.2.8.
When I install Ubuntu 18.04 beta2, it works fine -- until I install the guest additions.
The boot behavior seems normal at first, but then it cycles rapidly between littlewindow and fullscreenwindow a couple of times; then it halts without ever arriving at a desktop display. I've attached the last screenful of boot messages.

What could be causing this?
I have the exact same problem with Windows 10 host, VB 5.2.8 and Ubuntu 18.04 Beta 2. Once I install guest additions, the display freezes at the same place yours does.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

With the VM shut down go into the guest settings. Under Display is "Enable 3D Acceleration" enabled for this guest? Try changing this setting and restarting the guest. Does it still freeze?

p.s. if you are asked to zip up the logs...I suggest you do so as that's really the best way other than guessing whats wrong.
TomL12953
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Commodore OS, Win 8

Post by TomL12953 »

Turning off 3D acceleration works for me.