Use Webcam on a Win 8.1 VM without an Extension Pack

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
AlexSnil

Use Webcam on a Win 8.1 VM without an Extension Pack

Post by AlexSnil »

Hi there I'm Alex.

The society I actually working on mostly use Debian OS and a Windows 8.1 virtual machine for the sotfwares such as Outlook, etc ... They need the webcam (on the VM) based on a USB 2.0 (EHCI) controller but the problem is the extension pack from Virtual Box who has a commercial licence.

I'm here for asking u how can I use the webcam on a Win 8.1 virtual machine without installing the extension pack 5.1.30 from Virtual Box. Btw it would be cool if I can develop my own Extension Pack but dunno if it's possible haha.

Thanks for your advices and your answers.

Best,
Alex Snil.
Last edited by AlexSnil on 4. Apr 2018, 14:16, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Use Webcam on a Win 8.1 VM without an Extension Pack

Post by mpack »

You can't use a webcam without installing the extension pack.

I don't understand your problem with the extension pack license. It's still free, just don't sell it.

If you mean it's because you are using the Ubuntu repo version of VirtualBox then you shouldn't be looking for support here. These are forums for actual Oracle VirtualBox, not for forks.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Since last July the Extension Pack cannot be used anymore for free in a commercial environment:
"Personal Use and/or Educational Use expressly exclude any use of the Product for commercial purposes or to operate or run a business, organization, governmental organization, or educational institution."
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ - 3.

This was also discussed in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85092
AlexSnil

Post by AlexSnil »

First, thank you for your fast answers !

As Martin said, the Extension Pack cannot be used for free that's why I search a solution ...

Do u guys have some ideas for another way ? Maybe "programming" my own Extension Pack with the Virtual Box build in Linux but looks very hard and to be honest I have no ideas about how it works ...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm pretty sure that it isn't the intent of the license to stop you using the extension pack personally while at work. What you can't do is base your business on it.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

When you use it on your busniess system during working hours for non-private work it is commercial and therefore not allowed by the iicense.
The explanation about the possibility for personal use in a commercial environment was removed from the licensing FAQ at the same time.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I tend to favor the foul up over the conspiracy theory. When I see Oracle go after engineers because they installed VirtualBox on their work PC - including the extension pack - then I'll believe there's a problem, and probably switch to VMWare the same day. I am really not a fan of the bait and switch cash grab.... but I emphasize that I don't believe that's what this is. It's just deleting a paragraph whose intent is hard to express precisely, and can be abused if badly expressed.