How do you share a folder to Tails OS?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Soldier234

How do you share a folder to Tails OS?

Post by Soldier234 »

Hi. I am running Tails inside virtual box on my Windows machine. I know how to add a folder through the virtual box settings. But I dont know how to locate this folder when I am inside Tails. Please could somebody let me know how I would find the shared folder?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How do you share a folder to Tails OS?

Post by mpack »

You need to install the Guest Additions in the guest OS. These include the guest drivers needed for the guest to "see" special VirtualBox features such as integrated mouse and GA Shared Folders. See chapter 4 of the user manual.
Soldier234

Post by Soldier234 »

Hi. These are already installed as default.

"Tails as a VirtualBox guest

The VirtualBox 4.x guest utilities, X11 drivers and kernel modules are installed inside Tails.

What works:

the option to integrate the guest windows inside a X11 desktop
kernel modules are loaded at runtime
X11 auto-detects the VirtualBox video and input drivers
sharing folders between a GNU/Linux host and a Tails guest
mouse integration"

The problem is that I dont know how to find the shared folder once I share it.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

Are you sure that Tails is capable of accessing shared Folders located on other computers? According to the Developers, it's designed solely to run as a live system from USB/DVD.

Edit: O.K. There are detailed instructions on the Tails Website on how to install, run and access Host Drives using the OS on VirtualBox, so if their methods don't work you may need to start with them.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Any GAs installed by default would be from a forked version of VirtualBox. Forks are not supported here. Also 4.x GAs are way out of date though I doubt that would make a difference to shared folders.

Anyway, to find the shared folders you need to use the Linux folders browser (I'm not a Linux user) to navigate to your network neighborhood, into branch "VirtualBox Shared Folders", then into branch "VBoxSvr", and inside that branch you should see all the GA shared folders defined in the settings for that VM.